CYA Standard R-7065

JohnH

May 28, 2012
Flower Mound, TX
I have been testing CYA in my pool for a year and a half. I'm doing a pretty good job of it. I thought it would be a good ideal to buy the CYA standard solution R-7065, just to check my calibration eye.

I just received my R-7065 and R-0013 8oz. each today.

poolpics001_zps011f6237.jpg

One was labeled R=7065, but the other was not labeled. Both was sealed, I'm assuming they forgot to put the R-0013 label on the bottle.

No big deal, but when I tested the solution (15ml R-0013 & 15ml R-7065), Speed stir, rest for 30 sec, then speed stir.
Behold I indicate 30ppm not 50. There is another thread talking about this, and I'm getting the same result.

poolpics002_zps938e6cff.jpg

I don't use the small bottle with red cap, the bottom of label is 15ml and top of label is 30ml. So I just use the measurement container and it works for me.

Questions
1) TFTestkits is closed right now, because its 1900 here in TX. But I wonder if the bottle that is not label really is R-0013?
2) And am I doing the CYA test correct, I have two CYA tester tubes, and they both indicate 30 when the black dot goes away?

Thanks, John

BTW, test results from today

The simple answer is: you're doing the test wrong. Experiment with the lighting, how you hold it, whatever, until you read 50 consistently. Then use that same technique when you test your pool.

A standard is a fixed value to check calibration of something. If you own a micrometer, it will often come with a small metal rod called a standard. If your micrometer doesn't read right, something is wrong with the measuring tool, not the standard.

It's no different here. Your measuring tool - your eyes - needs to be adjusted so it reads correctly against the standard.

The simple answer is: you're doing the test wrong. Experiment with the lighting, how you hold it, whatever, until you read 50 consistently. Then use that same technique when you test your pool.

OK, fair enough. I will practice some more. If I'm correct, I hold the CYA test tube at waist high & pour, and sun at your back? Also, is it correct to use the graduated cylinder with speed stir to mix solution?

Thanks, John

I mix mine with the speedstir.

However it works for you so you read 50 is right. For me, that means only holding the view tube with thumb and forefinger at the very top so I don't shade it, and having the sun to the side while it also reflects off the patio concrete.

John,

Please email your name and Tel# to [email protected]. We will send you a new bottle with a label. I don't like that an unlabeled bottle got out of our shipping and cannot figure out how just yet but we will. I am sorry this inconvenience happened to you.

Please call me tomorrow @ 919.528.1104 and we'll get that blank bottle disposed of properly.

I can't tell exactly what it is for sure (although I am almost positive nothing but R-0013 would cause the cloudiness) but none of the reagents in the kit are harmful enough to do much of anything. Again, sorry....please call me and we'll get it sorted out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I received my first-time CYA Test solution R-7065 today from TFTkits site.

I'm getting consistent results in the 30's, same as JohnH . I checked it 4-5 times, pouring the vial contents back into the mixer bottle, re-testing, etc. I'm using the Taylor CYA vial and the Taylor P/N 919 mixing bottle for my CYA testing.

I tested it with the same parameters as I always test CYA, back toward the sun, waist-high, sunny day, in the same position in my yard as I've tested CYA for years.

I'm not concerned about it, just found it interesting that my results would be about the same as another member's tests with the CYA standard solution.

My pool's in cruise control, no problems, so I'll play with some different light/position settings for my CYA tests to see if I can obtain a consistent reading of 50 with the standard solution.

Well, I thought this issue was put to rest. Rebecca reports that the R-7065 she currently has in stock yields a result of 50 ppm. Let me check again with her, Scoop, and make sure the bottle you got was this current batch. Please send to me your name so I can track down the order. We'll get this sorted out.

I just got off the phone with Rebecca. She tested the current batch of R-7065 and opened a new container that has not been re bottled yet.

In both instances, she got 50 ppm. I have tested with her.....she and I test the same and get the same results.

I will say this. Over the years, I have found that correct results are best obtained when you can see the dot just the tiniest bit. If I continue to add reagent to the viewtube, I will get a falsely high test. I know Taylor calls for total obscuration of the dot but my experience tells me that I will be too high if I go that far.

I have done a calibration test with that 50 PPM cya reagent about 1 month ago and it reads 50.
But it did re-think the way I interpret the test.

With back to full sun and vial at waist high looking down:

The best way to describe it is YES you do see a little of the dot but you cannot see
the full circular edge "SHAPE" of the dot. you see just a little hint of the dot within the cloud of circulating solution...nothing more...at 50ppm

When the dot is barely visible and distorted from the liquid..you are done pouring.

PM Dave (duraleigh) since this should be a fresh lot that he can double check himself to see if he can reproduce it. If you can take a photo of it at 50 ppm and at 30 ppm in the vial and post it, that would also be helpful.

Good idea (pics). I'll try to post those when I get a chance to retest.

Well, I thought this issue was put to rest. Rebecca reports that the R-7065 she currently has in stock yields a result of 50 ppm. Let me check again with her, Scoop, and make sure the bottle you got was this current batch. Please send to me your name so I can track down the order. We'll get this sorted out.

Done, thanks.

I just got off the phone with Rebecca. She tested the current batch of R-7065 and opened a new container that has not been re bottled yet.

In both instances, she got 50 ppm. I have tested with her.....she and I test the same and get the same results.

I will say this. Over the years, I have found that correct results are best obtained when you can see the dot just the tiniest bit. If I continue to add reagent to the viewtube, I will get a falsely high test. I know Taylor calls for total obscuration of the dot but my experience tells me that I will be too high if I go that far.

Thanks for the "dot" info. That's the first time I'd read that about the dot. I've always added the mix into the vial until the dot completely disappears.

I have done a calibration test with that 50 PPM cya reagent about 1 month ago and it reads 50.
But it did re-think the way I interpret the test.

With back to full sun and vial at waist high looking down:

The best way to describe it is YES you do see a little of the dot but you cannot see
the full circular edge "SHAPE" of the dot. you see just a little hint of the dot within the cloud of circulating solution...nothing more...at 50ppm

When the dot is barely visible and distorted from the liquid..you are done pouring.

Thanks. I'll use this method the next time I test CYA. I usually test once a month during the summer months since, based on last summer's CYA results, it drops about 10 per month.

You can buy the CYA 50 ppm Standard R-7065 which you use as a water sample with the CYA test. You should read 50 ppm in that test if the test is done correctly (and if the R-7065 is correctly 50 ppm CYA). It isn't really calibrating the test since the test doesn't use any instrument with any calibration. It's more for as an individual visually seeing when the dot disappears to get an idea of what 50 ppm CYA is supposed to look like when doing the test. It lets you adjust your technique or your interpretation of the test so that in some sense "you" are calibrated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.