CYA Standard R-7065

OK, but I haven't tested ANYTHING as of yet. Its raining and pretty dark here in Kentucky, should I wait until a sunny day? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to learn the right way!!

Never mind......I don't have the R=7065 liquid in my TF100 Kit!

You can do a CYA test on a bright cloudy day. It's strong indirect lighting that you want and a bright cloudy day is fine for that. A dark cloudy day or measuring indoors may have you read falsely too high in CYA level. Measuring in direct sunlight facing the sun would have you read falsely too low in CYA level.

You can do a CYA test on a bright cloudy day. It's strong indirect lighting that you want and a bright cloudy day is fine for that. A dark cloudy day or measuring indoors may have you read falsely too high in CYA level. Measuring in direct sunlight facing the sun would have you read falsely too low in CYA level.

Thanks Chem geek! But I have to have the R-7065 liquid right?

If you wanted to calibrate your viewing what 50 ppm CYA looks like in the test, then yes you would need the R-7065. What you have is the CYA test so you can test your pool water. The test kit does not come with any standard solutions though these are available separately (for CYA, CH, and TA). These are not necessary. They are just available for anyone who wants to validate their test kit to make sure the reagents are working properly and to be able to see what the test looks like, especially for the CYA test that has some degree of judgment to determining when the black dot disappears.

I just received a fresh batch of R-0013 and R-7065 (among other goodies I ordered like the FlowVis valve and the nicer pressure gauge from TFPtestkits) and I've tried out the solution 5 separate times in various spots outside and in my house and the darn black dot disappears at 80 ppm no matter what I do. Frankly, I'm shocked at the consistent 80 ppm reading I've been getting. I even tried some 'older' (no clue how old) R-0013 and I still get the same thing: 80 ppm. Any thoughts?

Please PM Dave (duraleight) about this. We need to get to the bottom of this since too many people are finding that result while others (including myself) are finding 50 ppm measured properly. Please take a photo of the tube filled to the 50 ppm line vs. 80 ppm and post so we can see. [EDIT] However, the problems others have seen have been the opposite where they read the standard as 30 ppm while you are reading it as 80 ppm. Very strange. [END-EDIT]

Since you are in San Jose and I'm sometimes in that area, I can bring my reagents and tube and see if I get a different result using one or more of your components and we could isolate the problem to the CYA reagent or the CYA standard solution or the viewing tube. PM me and we can exchange E-mail addresses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good points, 440. I'll have to try that this evening.

So here are my results from this morning:

cya2.jpg
50 ppm control solution filled to the 50 ppm mark.

cya3.jpg
50 ppm control solution to the 70 ppm mark: my opinion of when the black dot disappears.

cya6.jpg
I added enough stabilizer to my pool to yield 40 ppm CYA. I get around 35ish. This has been consistent weekly for a month now (since my new fill up from the new Pebble Sheen refinish about 5 weeks ago).

I typically do my readings indoors under my strong kitchen lights. It was too cloudy/foggy this morning for an outdoor reading to do anything. However, last night, outdoors, sun to my back, waist level, just gripping the top of the tube with my thumb and a finger, with the control solution, I was getting 80 ppm. I also got the same reading indoors in the kitchen: 80 ppm. This morning it was 70 ppm so I'm wondering if shaking up the solution might do something. I'll try that tonight and I'll try it again outdoors.

Pics would be awesome!! I have the Taylor 2006 kit and am struggling with the CYA test. I come up with a reading between 50-60, which by my calculations is close to what it should be for the amount that I added when opening the pool, 2kg,???, but my old Rainbow kit uses tablets and a stick with black dot that is raised until visible and it gives me a much lower result, 30ish??? I have been vacuuming on drain to get more new water in and bring CYA and Alk down (150)

cyaA.jpg
So here is the R-7065 with the sun to our back, at waist level, and my daughter, wife, and I all got 70 ppm.

cyaB.jpg
Here is the same thing but this time I turned my waist just into the sun to get more light on the tube and I got 60 ppm.
As I look at the picture, I can just make out the dot so perhaps I could have added a bit more but to my eye, the 60 ppm seemed right. To the camera, it looks like I could add more and get closer to the 50 ppm.

I found with the standard that I could see the black dot at 50ppm, but the edges were blurred....something like your 60ppm picture except I think the black dot was a bit more visible (the dot looks more visible to me in your 60ppm than 70ppm picture)...I couldn't find a position where I thought the black dot disappeared completely....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.