Newbie with problem, Please Help!

Jun 21, 2014
Burlington, VT
I recently put up a Proseries 14'x42" AGP with skimmer and 1000 GP pump. Pool holds approximately 3300 gallons. I had low ph so I wanted to bring it up. I used the Pool calculator and came up with the amount of borax to add to bring the PH up from 7.0 to 7.6. Added it and tested the following morning. The PH was off the chart. In looking at the calculations I found that I forgot to change the gallons on the pool calc from 10K to 3300. So I put in 3 times the amount of borax needed. So to fix I have added 5 oz of HTH ph minus. After about 10 hours tested again the PH was still off the chart with virtually no change. I have since added about another 8 oz's of PH down and am now waiting to test again. My question is after adding all of the borax to the pool will I need a huge amount of PH minus to get the PH back in range?

Other measures are:

FC 10
CC .4
Ta 100
cya 40
All taken with a taylor k2006

Any input would be appreciated!

Shawn

Short answer: yes.

Once you're above 8.2, everything above reads 8.2. It doesn't change to purple or something. So just keep plugging in 8.2 and target 7.2 and add it. If you make a few passes with the brush to get things mixed well, you can retest and add more acid again in as little as 30 minutes. Once you finally get the color to budge, if it lands somewhere between 7.2 and 7.8, give it a rest for a day, then recheck it.

When you run out of dry acid, buy liquid Muriatic Acid.

Thanks for the quick replies! Yes the k2006 ph test was red and reading max. I also have freshwater aquariums and have a high ph test kit for Africans. The ph ranged between 8.4-8.6 on that kit. I checked the calc, but wasn't sure if there was an abundance of borax and would take extra ph minus to counter that amount. Kind of what Richard mentioned above. (Thanks again Ricahrd!) Calc said to add 9.3 oz (Using the 8.6 that I got with the aquarium kit on the second day)by weight so started at about 8 to see where that would put me. The numbers that I posted were from last night before adding the minus. I just retested and the ph is at 8 on both kits so I have seen a little movement and feel a bit better. I will wait until the morning and check again and adjust accordingly. Hopefully on the home stretch to recovery!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.