Underwater lighting, what works well?

May 24, 2013
Hey guys, since I am on the quest for a "perfect install" I am considering underwater pool lighting at the moment...

In looking into things I have found only two "permanent" install pool lights out there, one being the discontinued Sta-Rite Sunstar 50w Halogen, the other being the Hayward Elite Quartz Halogen 50w.

Looks to me that Hayward bought the patent out and updated the design to allow colored lens covers from inside the pool instead of having to remove the light from behind to insert lenses from behind.

Now, That being said, I have noticed a lot of the other lights being the type to hang from the upper lip (sits only a few inches under the water line), or ones that replace the return fitting (which I would rather not do since it would limit options that use the return).

I have found it is nearly impossible to find pictures of any of these options that aren't just marketing fluff (ie, pics that are way overexposed to make it look like they have way more light than they do).

Does anyone have solid input on these options?

I do have an option for a Sunstar that is new in the box and I know certain spares can still be sourced for it. But, since you have to put a hole in the side of the pool for that or the Hayward Elite I want to make sure it is a solid solution.

I too searched for lights. The over the rim ones did not fit my matrix pool so check before buying. I am very happy with our final purchase... A majestic set of wedding cake steps with the colored light kit option. Works great in our 24" round!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.