Want to add borates and salt (to discourage drinking)

kcindc

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 2, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I would like to add borates to my pool. However, I foster dogs and some of the dogs prefer the extra large water bowl that i call a pool. These dogs are only with me for a week to a month which is not long enough to train them not to drink from the pool. Also, some dogs are undergoing treatment for serious health issues (heart worm, ehrlichia, intestinal parasites, etc) and I don't want to add to their health problems.

I was wondering how much salt I should add that will: a) discourage the foster dogs from drinking the pool water, and b) not be too high to impact my equipment?

Thanks!

My borates are 50 ppm and salt is 3500 ppm. My dog drinks every chance she gets. She also swims with her mouth open lol. If the dog likes to drink from the pool, it won't discourage them. I don't feel that it is a major health risk, but you may decide otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback. I am not going to add borates. I'm not worried about my healthy dog drinking the borated water, just the foster dogs who are sometimes emaciated in addition to a multitude of health issues.

So, I tested my water and I have 15 ppm of borates and I plan to not let it get too much higher. So, I'll get a little benefit of the borates, but lesser risk for the foster dogs.

The foster dogs are kept indoors have plenty of access to fresh water, but some have never drank from a water bowl and head straight to the pool when thirsty. These are usually the thinnest and sickest dogs, too.

I normally use a return eyeball or a spray nozzle on my hose to help aerate. I have a spa blower, but I never get much of a PH rise using it because the bubbles are too big. I only use borax on opening, when I backwash frequently or if I get a large amount of acidic rain. Just like CYA, it adds up.

If you do use borates, and you do have a dog that insists on drinking from the pool when other water is available, then I'd get a shock collar. No sense in letting Rover injure himself.

There are gadgets that attach to the hose that the dog licks and gets fresh water.

They don't want fresh water. Any old stinky puddle is better that fresh water.

I call my pool a $30,000 cat water bowl (yes, my cats do drink from my pool).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have three normal sources of water in my backyard.

The dogs water dish - which is filled freshly whenever we spend any significant amount of time with the dog in backyard.

The pool - which is borate free (for now) and is clean, and is right near the pool deck where the dog loves to hang out.

The fountain - which is filled with about 8 gallons of who knows what water that recirculates and also has a mosquito dunk floating in it.

The dogs go to water source? The fountain.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.