Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Want to add borates and salt (to discourage drinking)

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Want to add borates and salt (to discourage drinking)

I would like to add borates to my pool. However, I foster dogs and some of the dogs prefer the extra large water bowl that i call a pool. These dogs are only with me for a week to a month which is not long enough to train them not to drink from the pool. Also, some dogs are undergoing treatment for serious health issues (heart worm, ehrlichia, intestinal parasites, etc) and I don't want to add to their health problems.

I was wondering how much salt I should add that will: a) discourage the foster dogs from drinking the pool water, and b) not be too high to impact my equipment?

Thanks!
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Want to add borates and salt (to discourage drinking)

The highest you should go with salt is about 4,500 to 5,000 ppm. However, I have no idea if that will discourage the dogs from drinking the water or not.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

We have 50 ppm borates and I believe our dogs actually prefer the pool water instead of their own water dish. They have learned not to drink it directly in front of us but they still drink it every chance they get.

4. Back To Top    #4

My salt level is a little high at 3800 ppm and my cats prefer to drink from the pool vs. a bowl of RO tap water.
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

5. Back To Top    #5

My borates are 50 ppm and salt is 3500 ppm. My dog drinks every chance she gets. She also swims with her mouth open lol. If the dog likes to drink from the pool, it won't discourage them. I don't feel that it is a major health risk, but you may decide otherwise.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Thanks for the feedback. I am not going to add borates. I'm not worried about my healthy dog drinking the borated water, just the foster dogs who are sometimes emaciated in addition to a multitude of health issues.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    2017 replaster/retile

7. Back To Top    #7

The borates in the water actually do increase the health risk if the dogs drink mostly from the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

So, I tested my water and I have 15 ppm of borates and I plan to not let it get too much higher. So, I'll get a little benefit of the borates, but lesser risk for the foster dogs.

The foster dogs are kept indoors have plenty of access to fresh water, but some have never drank from a water bowl and head straight to the pool when thirsty. These are usually the thinnest and sickest dogs, too.

I normally use a return eyeball or a spray nozzle on my hose to help aerate. I have a spa blower, but I never get much of a PH rise using it because the bubbles are too big. I only use borax on opening, when I backwash frequently or if I get a large amount of acidic rain. Just like CYA, it adds up.
    Karen
    2017 replaster/retile

9. Back To Top    #9

If you do use borates, and you do have a dog that insists on drinking from the pool when other water is available, then I'd get a shock collar. No sense in letting Rover injure himself.

There are gadgets that attach to the hose that the dog licks and gets fresh water.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

10. Back To Top    #10

They don't want fresh water. Any old stinky puddle is better that fresh water.

I call my pool a $30,000 cat water bowl (yes, my cats do drink from my pool).

11. Back To Top    #11

I have three normal sources of water in my backyard.

The dogs water dish - which is filled freshly whenever we spend any significant amount of time with the dog in backyard.

The pool - which is borate free (for now) and is clean, and is right near the pool deck where the dog loves to hang out.

The fountain - which is filled with about 8 gallons of who knows what water that recirculates and also has a mosquito dunk floating in it.

The dogs go to water source? The fountain.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo