Cant stop leak from bottom of Hayward Super II

laff66

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2007
Plano, TX
I've got a Hayward Super II with a 2HP motor. Both were in place when buying house 7 years ago; no idea how old they are. The pump is leaking from somewhere underneath it, and occasionally from the top, between the pump housing and motor. I've replaced the ceramic seal as well as the ribbon gasket around the back of the wet part of the pump with no success.
The pump has run dry MANY times, and Im sure gotten very hot. I'm looking for experiences on whether its worth continuing to mess with this thing, or just replace it. I've heard a lot about 2 spd motors, and how they are worth the investment. Due to the design, rough surface, swimmer load, and non-functioning main drain, I've got to run the thing around 10 hrs per day to keep the pool clean. Is that conducive to a 2spd?

I guess thats really two questions:

1. Do I buy a new pump housing (or seal plate?)
2. If replaced, are there better options?

Thanks for any advice!

Yes 2 speed motor will provide you energy savings, but you need to identify the source of leak in the pump first, without that, replacing just the motor may not fix the leak issue, I recently replaced an Hayward Northstar 2 HP pump with Hayward MaxFlo VS and I am very happy with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.