Just Discovered TFP, Just Opened Goliath Pool, Just Reconsidered My Life Choices

Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 008, Entry 001: Not much color change overnight, but my FC appeared to increase? Is such a thing possible? Before I went to sleep, I measured it at 11.5 and when I tested in the morning it was 15!

Since then, I let the sun beat on it for a few hours and tested moments ago to find FC at 9.5. I swept the entire pool for the third time today and added one jug of bleach.

I guess I'm just starting to get impatient, but I literally saw no color change from yesterday. Is there usually a lull period where this happens? Other than this small annoyance, all's quiet on the swampy front. CC sits at 0.5, no overnight FC loss (on some nights there's increase). I will feel a lot better about leaving the pool when I have to go to work tomorrow, only being able to check & add bleach every 4 hours or so.

Sun obscures the actual color, it's less green than the picture makes it appear... Also, this was taken shortly after a sweep.
3Fn11UKl.jpg

It does usually get to a point where you've killed the algae and you have that lovely whitish hue from all the dead algae and you just have to keep maintaining the SLAM while you wait for the filter to do it's job. That's a lot of filtering to get done and it takes some time. That's when it's time for POP (Pool Owner Patience)

Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 009, Entry 001: Not too much to report. Slight water color change. I lost 3 FC overnight, final test last night being 14 and this morning being 11. I put in one jug of bleach seeing as how I'll be at work all day, I thought I'd give it a little buffer. I also swept this morning. There's a chance one of my roommates will be home today, and he may be able to add some bleach in midday.

In a terrifying turn of events, I found floating in the pool this morning what can only be described as a golf ball sized ball of hair... I have no idea where it came from. I thought at first that it might be a lilypad of dead algae, but upon closer inspection it was definitely hair. Like, a giant hairball. I also found a goliath beetle swimming around.

This morning's test results: FC 11, CC 1.

Water color this morning
grRcB7Al.jpg

The hair abomination
aPsdReel.jpg

Question: Does this progress seem like business as usual? I guess I'm just a bit surprised that there's still some green after ~9 days of SLAM. I'm confident I did my CYA test correctly, but should I be raising the FC even more? I feel as if I'm falling into the trap of thinking I should micromanage even more than I already am.

totally subscribed! Welcome to TFP. I was once in your shoes. when I stumbled upon this site years ago, I had a swamp that I had to SLAM for almost a MONTH. For a MONTH I awoke before the sun raised and went to bed at midnight after after the last brushing and bleach installment. The fine people on this site stuck with me and we eventually found out my kids (and every kid in the neighborhood) had been peeing in the pool...alot. Six years later and my husband and I DYI-ed our own unground pool. Stick with TFP. Happy to have another pool school convert. Welcome!!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and from the size of that hairball, maybe you will find a dead cat at the bottom when things clear up!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just one more question for the experts!

I want to add some DE to the filter today, and I read the article in Pool School for how to do this, but I have one problem: I don't think my pressure gauge is too reliable. In general, I can estimate the pressure and when to backwash by how the pump sounds, and how strong the returns are running. My question is: Should I go ahead and add some DE, about half typical (one cup), and just pay close attention, or should I just skip that process entirely? For the record, I am not currently able to get a new pressure gauge and install it until, at the earliest, the end of this week.

I think I'd wait since you're only supposed to add enough to raise the pressure by 1 psi it would be best to be accurate with that. In the meantime the filter will still be working so it's not like you're losing anything. :)

BTW, what a creepy hairball! That looks like what I get from the lining of my horse's blanket in the spring when he sheds his winter coat!

Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 009, Entry 002: We got hit with a big nasty storm. Luckily, my roommate was home to test the water for me. Post-storm, I've still got 10 FC and 1 CC. I asked him to hit it hard with two jugs of bleach just in case the water tries to pull a fast one on me. I'm going to Walmart to replenish bleach reserves today after work. More to come!

Quick question: Is there any merit to super-duper-chlorinating the swamp at this point? For example, if I were to come home today to 10 FC and dump 10 jugs of bleach to raise it to 30. My gut says this would be the final blow against the remaining algae, but I'm not confident it would be as effective as I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't give up hope. That is still possible but I wouldn't plan a pool party until you're certain.

You've made a lot of progress!

I've planned a tentative pool party, as in, the pool aspect of the party is up in the air :)

Algae Exterminator's Log - Day 009, Entry 002: We got hit with a big nasty storm. Luckily, my roommate was home to test the water for me. Post-storm, I've still got 10 FC and 1 CC. I asked him to hit it hard with two jugs of bleach just in case the water tries to pull a fast one on me. I'm going to Walmart to replenish bleach reserves today after work. More to come!

Quick question: Is there any merit to super-duper-chlorinating the swamp at this point? For example, if I were to come home today to 10 FC and dump 10 jugs of bleach to raise it to 30. My gut says this would be the final blow against the remaining algae, but I'm not confident it would be as effective as I think.

- - - Updated - - -

I've planned a tentative pool party, as in, the pool aspect of the party is up in the air :)

You don't want to go too much above your shock level because you don't want any fading or damage to your liner and pool equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.