Opinions on test results

Jun 21, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi everyone! I haven't posted here in several years, but I lurk off and on during pool season. Yesterday my daughter shocked our pool using leftover powder shock that she found in the garage rather than the bleach that I had sitting on the shelf :mad: Anyway, today after vacuuming the pool the water looked a little cloudy, so I ran some tests using my TF-100 kit.

CYA 20
FC 10
CL .5
Ph 7.2
Alk 100

From what I can tell, the FC is at shock level based on the CYA reading. The pool is still a bit cloudy, but not very much. Just not the crystal clear water it usually is. I'm not sure what my next step is to get it back to sparkling.

Sharon

Continue to maintain the shock level until you pass the 3 criteria to stop the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process, one of which is the water is clear.

Why did she add the powder? There should never need to be a reason to "shock" if you maintain adequate FC levels.

When you get cleared up, you should raise the CYA to at least 30ppm.

What kind of powder was it? Cal-hypo can cloud the water, although usually only when the pH is also high I think.

She used TurboShock trying to help. I tested the pool the day before and couldn't get a FC reading so I mentioned that I was going to shock the pool. So she was trying to help me out by doing it (she is probably planning on inviting friends over to swim this weekend)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.