Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: tF100 Options?

1. Back To Top    #1

tF100 Options?

Buying my first TF-100 today for a new pool currently under construction. I am looking at adding the XL option. I'm kind of a nerd and see a lot of unnecessary extra testing while I am getting my bearings. I can't tell by looking at the site which of the reagents are increased with the XL option. Is that posted somewhere and I am just missing it? If not, can someone here tell me which reagents come with the XL?

As for the SpeedStir. I brew my own beer and use a magnetic stir plate to grow brewer's yeast. Is there something special about the SpeedStir? Or would I be able to drop a 1" stir bar (I have several) in my test tube with the reagent and use that?

Also, for the extra stir bars if I go with the speed stir, will any standard 1" stir bar work? Like I said, I have several for use with my other hobby.
    12,500 gallon, in-ground Grecian Rectangle (vinyl liner). Installed June 2014. Sand filter, SWG for chlorination. TF-100 test kit.
    Located in Edmond, OK

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: tF100 Options?

The XL comes with double the powder and drops for the FAS-DPD chlorine test. If you're clearing a swamp, you'll need it. If you're OCD, you might as well get it and save shipping later. The other reagents are readily available in local pool stores if you run out; the FAS-DPD test is almost unheard of in stores.

If you already have the stirrer, use it. The speedstir has a lip that keeps the vial centered, that's about it. I ordered spare 8*25mm stirbars from a brewer's supply on eBay and they look exactly the same. So you're set.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard. Does the TF-100 come with a vial for test water, or is that something I would need to order separately?
    12,500 gallon, in-ground Grecian Rectangle (vinyl liner). Installed June 2014. Sand filter, SWG for chlorination. TF-100 test kit.
    Located in Edmond, OK

4. Back To Top    #4

It has everything.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Cool. One more followup. I am installing a SWG and eventually plan to add borates to the water. Will the standard salt strips and the borate test strips be sufficient to keep track of those?
    Located in Edmond, OK

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JCarsten View Post
    Cool. One more followup. I am installing a SWG and eventually plan to add borates to the water. Will the standard salt strips and the borate test strips be sufficient to keep track of those?
    I have no idea. I use neither, so I don't test for them.