Differences in pumice stone

Jim H.

Jun 9, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Previous owner left a variety of pool supplies, including two different pumice stones. One is pink in color, very light (weight) and the block is almost square. The other pumice stone is a dark mottled gray color, very heavy, and is almost the size of a 6 inch 2x2. I have no experience with pumice to remove Ca deposits on tile. Is one type better than the other? I worked a small area with each one and the pink version is quite "soft", gets used up quickly compared to the heavier and "tougher" gray one. The gray type looks like it could like it could be too aggresive to use. The tile is smooth and slippery below the water line but rough above. Don't know if this is because of the scale or from use of the pumice stone by previous owner. Did a search but could not find any posts dealing exactly with this question. Thanks for any advice.

Latest test results:
FC 13
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 130
CH 625
CYA 140

Working on getting CYA down as much as I can, in process of reducing pH to 7.2 with MA. Taking it slowly because of warnings here that pH results can be artificially high due to my Cl level. Dumped all the Trichlor and using 10% Bleach for chlorination.

I just bought grey pumice stones at the 99¢ store, and they're really soft. Test the two you have somewhere not too visible when people come out to admire the sparkle and see.

Leave the pH alone for now. It's almost certainly lower than what it reads at that FC level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.