Where would you purchase a new pump?

kinnup

Jun 25, 2014
Parkton MD
Hi all, new member here. I am in the market for a Pentair Whisperflow WF-24 to replace my existing pump (same model). I have looked on the Pentair website for the nearest authorized retailers and I have called them. They all quote me full retail price. I plan on installing this pump myself. So, when I look on line for the same pump with various search engine shopping functions, I find some of the on line web prices to be significantly less. They say things like brand new in box, etc... So, I would think it is not a refurbished model.

I wonder about warranty support from the manufacturer should it be needed. But, I don't worry too much about it. Most pump issues seem to occur well past the warranty coverage period. I would welcome your thoughts on this purchase based on your experiences. Would you buy on line and save $200 or go brick & mortar and pay full retail? It seems like an obvious answer, but peace of mind is important and your experiences may help me with that. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Kinnup

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

There may be warranty issues for buying online and installing it yourself. Many companies are getting pretty picky.

Lets get some more information first before you buy though.
-What is wrong with your existing pump?
-Why do you need such a big pump? Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

It is not uncommon for builders to install small filters and pumps that are bigger than needed.
By getting a smaller pump, it will be cheaper to buy and cheaper to run.
I am certainly going to suggest you get a 2-speed version of what ever pump we recommend.

If the pump is fine and properly sized, but the motor is bad, you could save a good bit of money and effort by just replacing the motor (ideally with a 2-speed).

Thanks Jblizzle for the welcome and taking the time to comment. I will update my signature to reflect more information about my pool. I don't have the specific capacity numbers but could calculate that for you. We did not have the pool installed, it was here when we purchased the home. It is a "sport pool", rectangular in shape with both ends 3 feet deep tapering down in the center to a 5 foot deep center. The pool has two skimmers on the side of the pool and two filters at the bottom of the 5 foot section (this is where my pool lingo may not be correct). In addition, it has two circulating jets and a 3rd for the polaris cleaner. There is a sand filter, a pump for the polaris and a heater.

The pump looks quite aged. I know that it needs repairing because of the loud grinding noise. Based on my research I would guess it is likely that the bearings need to be replaced. I could do that. I could replace the motor too. I would replace the impellor too if I did that. So I know that is an option. Where to purchase such items is still a relevant question. Again, I will post more details about my pool if that helps.

My question really centers around internet purchases from large sellers who may not be authorized retailers of certain brands. Do you or your readers have any thoughts on that? (I suspect those that may work for manufacturers of such items would be proponents of only working with authorized retailers, but there is a market out there obviously that supports other alternatives.)

Best regards
Kinnup

Loud pump is likely the bearing in the motor as you stated, so you could get by with just replacing the motor. But, that is pump is way bigger than you need for the pool you described.

For a similar cost of a new motor, you could get an entirely new smaller Superflo 1HP 2-speed pump that will save a lot of money on electricity by running on low speed most of the time.

There are other options as well, like getting a smaller motor (2-speed) and impeller for your existing pump, but that would still be a larger pump than you need and thus will use more power.

Personally I bought my pump online and installed it myself. That may or may not have given me a very limited warranty, but it is pretty rare for a single or 2 speed pump to fail. If it is bad, it will fail almost immediately and be covered. If it runs fine, then it is not likely to fail within the first year which is generally the limit of the warranty anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.