Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about Skimmer Valves alway leave open?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about Skimmer Valves alway leave open?

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new pool owner. I was told by my "pool school" guy not to touch my two skimmer valves that they should always remain open.

Is this correct? When would I need to close the skimmer valves? (they are Jandy valves, not sure if this matters)

Thanks.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about Skimmer Valves alway leave open?

There are only a few special situations when you might want to close a skimmer manual valve. One would be when diagnosing problems with the main drain, it is occasionally handy to close off the skimmers so you know all the water is coming from the main drain (just for testing). Another would be when manually vacuuming you might want to turn off one skimmer so the other skimmer has more suction.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question about Skimmer Valves alway leave open?

Awesome, Thanks Jason!
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build