Filter Reccomendation for Pentair Superflo Variable Speed Pump

Gannet

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2014
Plymouth, MA
Plymouth, MA, 1988 IG vinyl pool, 25K gal. Pentair Superflo VS (new 2014), 36 sq ft Nautilus DE filter and we have a Tiger Shark cleaning robot. Pipes are 1.5 inches. 2 skimmers and 4 returns. There are no waterfalls, heaters, spas or any type of special features.
We are looking at purchasing a new filter. Our current DE filter may be origianl equipment and I have had to resew the seems on one of the filter grids. I realize I could replace the grids but it seems wiser to invest in a new filter rather than spend money on this old one.

My question is, are there filters that work better at the slower speeds the pump will be running. I have read that sand filters offer more resistence and therefore you need to run at higher speeds. I also read that cartridge filters offer the least rsistence.
We like the fact the DE filters can filter out finer particles.

The salesman at our pool store is trying to sell us a Pentair Sand Dollar Clearpro Technology sand filter.

Any reccomendations? Any expierence with the Sand Dollar Clearpro? Would we have to backwash the Sand Dollar every week?

Thank you

We like the fact the DE filters can filter out finer particles.
Id' be surprised if you could actually see those particles.

For areas where you close a pool, sand will probably be the easiest at opening but it depends on what you face when you open the pool. You can always add DE to a sand filter to improve the filter capability. But I am usually in the repair vs replace camp just because it tends to be easier.

If you do decide to go with sand, just go large so at least 30".

I personally have a Cartridge filter in use with my variable speed pump and it does a great job filtering on both the low range and high range. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than 150 Sq. Ft. on a cartridge filter and the bigger the better in regards to the filter. A larger filter will give you more filtering capacity and less resistance on your pump. I clean my cartridges every few months and this seems to be sufficient. I really like the ease of maintenance on the cartridge filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.