Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump/Filter under a deck?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump/Filter under a deck?

Is it practical or even feasible to have the pool equipment under the deck? The deck will be about 5' high maybe a little less where the equipment will be located. I'll have a access panel in the side on hinges to get underneath and work on everything.
    I'm putting a square deck around my round pool and don't really have much room outside the deck for the equipment.

Just wondering what everyone has done or thinks. I've seen a few pics from searches but nothing major.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump/Filter under a deck?

Put it wherever you want, its just the fact of getting to it when you need to.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have mine under my deck. The deck is even with the pool, so I'd say about 52 inches off the ground. Works for me, but I'm only 5 ft tall so I don't have to bend over a lot when I'm under there.....lol
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

is there plenty of room to get to everything with it like that?
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm too old to be crawling under a deck to access equipment in the winter and back washing.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I have my equipment under my deck. My deck is about 8' off the ground so clearance is not an issue. It does seem to reverberate sound more than if it was out in the open.
    Steve ~16K IG Vinyl Pool, Hayward TriStar 1.5 hp, Hayward S244TE filter, Polaris 280 w/booster pump, Prologic PL-P-4, Hayward AquaConnect, 3 PAL LED lights, 3 Deck Jets, AquaComfort ACT 1100 heater and TF-100 Test Kit with SpeedStir.

7. Back To Top    #7

I guess i can always try it and if I dont like it, I could always get longer hoses or hard plumb it and move it where ever I want.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

8. Back To Top    #8

Make sure you can get the lid off your filter. And think about sitting on the deck, and listening to that right underneath you while it runs...
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
    Make sure you can get the lid off your filter. And think about sitting on the deck, and listening to that right underneath you while it runs...

make sure you leave plenty of room for this. getting those pump filter lids on and then back on again with a good seal can make for one very bad day. you dont want to further complicate it by having no room around it (or above it) to work.

i personally would NOT put equipment under the deck, unless there was enough room for me to stand up perfectly straight under there without hitting my head on something.

even then..... i donno.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

I have mine under the deck and a hatch to accces everthing. Works great for me. One thing i wish i had done is put a second gate off the deck close to the pump. When i have to turn off the pump to get a full skimmer basket out to empty i have to walk out the deck gate and around to the pump to turn it back on, but i guess that doesnt matter that its under the deck or not for that problem. Just that my gate is far from the pump.
    Lizzieann,

27x54 AGP with Waterfall, 18,500 gallons, Waterway Sand filter- Waterway 1.5 hp -1 speed pump , TF-100 test kit, BBB method.