1. Back To Top    #1

are these temps how it is?

So turned on the heater and see

water to exchanger 160
    water from exchanger 115
    water from pool 68
    water to pool 72

so then
    160 degree water only raises temp of outflow 4 degrees?
    and
    if water to pool is 72, how will it ever get to 85? or does it add 4 degrees to whatever enters, i.e.
    when pool water is 69 out flow will be 73, when pool water is 70, outflow will be 74, etc

exchanger is 260 BTU as in the sig below

thank you
    Last edited by engrav; 06-25-2014 at 01:10 AM. Reason: typo
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: are these temps how it is?

A BTU is a BTU. 100 BTUs can raise 100 lbs of water 1 degree Fahrenheit, or 10 lbs of water 10 degrees or 1 lb 100 degrees.

All those readings tell you is that there's about 11 times as much water flowing on one side of the heat exchanger as the other. Watch it awhile and you'll see the inlet temp rise as the pool starts warming, which will then show the outlet temperature rise until eventually, the pool temperature hits the target you set on the thermostat and it shuts off.

My heater only tells me what the temperature of the water entering the heater is. my 400K heater and my 16K pool works out to about 20 minutes per degree rise. You have a bigger pool and a smaller heater so it will take about an hour to see a one degree rise.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

yes, the exchanger should add a few degrees to the incoming water. It will take a couple days but you should get up to 85 eventually.
    IG plaster, 22,000 gallon, Jacuzzi Laser Sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

end result is
    took 30hrs to get from 64 to 85
    which seems pretty good given the efficiency of exchangers

I calculated about $180 of oil and about $10 of electricity
    85 is very nice for this old geezer
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.