Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Algae separating after flocculant

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae separating after flocculant

I have an in ground pool with a vinyl liner. 42,000 gallons. I have the chemistry correct. The pool is green. I added 7 lbs of shock, cal hypo,and waited 1 hour (this is what the directions for the Flocculant say to do)and shut the pump/filter off. Added 2 bottles of Revive( a flocculant) it's been 36 hrs and half of the algae is on the bottom like it should be, but half is floating on the surface. This is the second time this year it has done this. I'm just now starting my pool by the way. A week ago I did the same process with the same results.the first time this happened I tried turning on my pump to let the filter remove the surface algae, but it went straight through my filter and clouded the pool back up. So now I'm back to the separated algae. I also bought a net for algae and it doesn't work. It just pushes it around the pool. This is my 7th year cleaning this pool. I'm not an amateur and have never seen this before. Has anyone seen this before? What did you do? Any ideas? Oh and I have a sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae separating after flocculant

Welcome to TFP!

There's a couple of things here that we need to know:

Are you doing your own testing or relying on a pool store for that?

What are your test results?

Has that filter ever been deep cleaned?

Algae problems are NOT a filter problem, they are a chemistry problem.

If you want, we can help you to solve this green pool thing. However there will be some things that you will need to do.

You probably don't want to hear this, but there will be a bit of reading involved. Please do read these sections of Pool School:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...efeating-algae

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...at-is-tfpc-bbb

What we try to teach here will help you to care for your pool in the least time consuming, least expensive methods available. Many of us have gone through what you are experiencing, and have learned that the pool store is not you friend.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcome! I went out and bought some liquid bleach from the store, a lot cheaper than a pool place. I've been using super shock @$4 a lb. it wasn't easy on the wallet. But anyway I'm in the SLAM process now. I had to put 24 96oz bottles in right off the bat. This is a HUGE pool. They are only 2.75% chlorine. I'll go further for the 6% in little while. I'm gonna download tapatalk and try and get some pictures on here. A lot of the chlorine settles to the bottom after an hour so common sense says to brush every hour. It must be that confounded floc. Thanks for the help. I'll keep y'all posted.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Hi, Matt, Welcome to the forum.
    A lot of the chlorine settles to the bottom after an hour so common sense says to brush every hour
    Nope, Chlorine distributes evenly in pool water (your pump is running, right?) VERY quickly and does not settle but is suspended evenly throughout the column shortly (say 30 minutes or so after it is introduced.)

Have you read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry yet?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

first round of chlorine for a 42000 gallon pool.

Yes I have it running constantly. I can see the algae settling. I put in a lot of flocculant. Because I intended to vacuum it out before I joined this wonderful forum and learned about the SLAM process.
    Rectangle In-ground 49,725 gallons, vinyl liner
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Super Pump
    10+ years old

6. Back To Top    #6

I am doing my own testing the results before the SLAM are;
    Hardness: 250
    Total chlorine:0
    FC: obviously 0
    Ph: 7.4
    TA: 80-90
    CYA:30

TC now: 15 or more, off the scale.
    FC now: 12
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Super Pump
    10+ years old

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Good Job, Matt,

Your on your way. You need to be able to test that Chlorine VERY accurately so you need another chlorine test kit called an FAS/DPD chlorine test.

Re-check your math on the pool size. Obviously, just guessing but your pool looks to be a bit smaller than 42k

While your waiting on your FAS/DPD kit, it is important you replenish again and again to put your FC back at that 16 ppm SLAM value

You have netted out whatever solid debris you can, correct? Chlorine alone along with a good working filter and vacuuming will get your pool crystal clear. Keep that SLAM article at your fingertips and follow it precisely.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Matt SLAM it till it's blue !!
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank ya, and I will and post pictures along the way. I'll get more up tomorrow as it looks about the same as earlier right now. I went and got some concentrated Clorox a minute ago.
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Super Pump
    10+ years old

10. Back To Top    #10

Had some chlorine loss this morning, 8 ppm. I put 3 tablets in last night before I went to bed to help a little.

Before brushing

After brushing

Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Super Pump
    10+ years old

11. Back To Top    #11

Be careful with the tablets, they are about half CYA and can quickly push you into a stabilizer range you don't want to be in. Tablets have their place, but a SLAM is not usually one of them.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Be careful with the tablets, they are about half CYA and can quickly push you into a stabilizer range you don't want to be in. Tablets have their place, but a SLAM is not usually one of them.
    What he said. Depending on your CYA level they might be nice to use when going away for a few days or vacation but they can add CYA faster than you want if you're not watching the level.

Please add the following information in your signature. If comes in handy for answering questions as the person doesn't have to go back looking for the info , , thanks.

The size of your pool in gallons
    If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
    If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
    Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
    Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for letting me know about the tabs. I took them out this morning and won't put them back until I'm done SLAMing. My pool is 40'x 25 1/2'. 10' deep end and 3' shallow.
    How do i put a signature? Do I have to make a certain amount of posts before I'm allowed? or do I need to be on a desktop computer?

For now the filter is a Hayward sand filter.
    1 HP Hayward Super Pump.
    No Clorinator or SWG.

This pool is at least 10 years old. I've had this house since 2007 and the pool was run down then. I had to put in a new liner, pump, and filter when I bought the house. The pump has to pull up hill (about 3 ft above pool water level) the guy that built this house was a genius, a real Einstein.
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Super Pump
    10+ years old

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Might be easier on a desktop but it doesn't make a difference as far as the system letting you. You just need to click on "settings" in the upper right of this screen just under "pool school". On that next page over on the left under "My Settings" in "Signature" and that will pop up a box to add the info.
    Just makes it so much easier on all of us

15. Back To Top    #15

As Dave mentioned, grab a FAS/DPD chlorine test and you'll be better able to track your FC, up to 50ppm.

You have to keep on the SLAM. Maintaining the SLAM level is the most important as the algae is going to keep eating up the FC. The more you add and keep at SLAM level, the faster you'll kill it. FLOC's are mainly a waste of money, a pain in the rear and can clog a filter. Very seldomly will you hear them recommended here.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks Frog I'll get that info put on my signature. I will keep up that chlorine level until its clear. Too far in to let it go backwards!
    Day 3:
    FC overnight loss: 5 ppm

Before brushing

After brushing

Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Super Pump
    10+ years old

17. Back To Top    #17

Getting really close now!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

18. Back To Top    #18

Making good progress. Keep it up
    24x48 Atlantic AGP
    18" Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo LX

19. Back To Top    #19

ok, its at the point where im trying to clear it up. i read somewhere on here that i can add Diatomacous Earth to my sand filter to make it more efficient. how much should i add? i cant find the article i read.
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Super Pump
    10+ years old

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Mattjames View Post
    ok, its at the point where im trying to clear it up. i read somewhere on here that i can add Diatomacous Earth to my sand filter to make it more efficient. how much should i add? i cant find the article i read.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-a-sand-filter
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast