Can I really go two sunny days in AZ with no chlorine loss?

tibunekubda

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
On Sunday evening:

FC 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 110
CH 400
CYA 50

Added liquid chlorine to bring FC back up to 8.

Monday morning:

FC 8.5

Tuesday morning:

FC 8.5

Hmmm... that seems weird.

Tuesday evening:

FC 8.5

Thought maybe I'm doing the test too fast now that I'm familiar with it. So, re-did the test immediately and came up with 8.0 - within the testing margin of error.

Is there anything that I could be doing wrong? Is this at all something that would be expected? From everything I've read on the site -- chlorine is a consumable that needs to be replenished daily.

Are there chlorine fairies? :)

I know we say that every pool is different, but not losing any chlorine in AZ over two sunny days is very strange...to the point I would say virtually impossible. A few thoughts:
  1. What are you using to test with?
  2. How old are the reagents?
  3. Consider having someone else perform the test as a check to see how close the results are.

A few thoughts:
  1. What are you using to test with?
  2. How old are the reagents?
  3. Consider having someone else perform the test as a check to see how close the results are.

I am testing with FAS-DPD chemicals purchased last month

I went through a 2 week SLAM at the end of May to turn my green pool to sparkly and never saw any unexpected results during all the times I tested. Pool is still beautiful and test results haven't showed anything other than what I would expect for the last 3 weeks.

I thought I was done with twice a day testing :)

Silly question, who doesn't love those... right? ;)
Are you leaving it covered, or uncovered?

I would try the OTO test, as a sanity check to see if it indicates considerably higher chlorine or not. It'll turn orange, brown, or have little floating globs suspended in an otherwise clear sample if it does. But I doubt it's that high, worth checking though, in case your sample is partially bleaching out.

Also, did you run your pump at least 30min prior to testing? This is to circulate the water enough to ensure you don't have any high/low concentrations of Cl.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

This morning I made sure that the pump had been running for at least 1/2 hour before testing (I think it usually is... but, made sure).

FC 8.0

used ChemTek TruTest Strips

FC 6.0

used chlorine test from my Taylor K2005 (don't have an OTO yet)

FC 5+

The pool is uncovered.

For the last 3 weeks, I have been adding somewhere around a quart a day. It seems like the other two tests (however inaccurate they may be) still think I have enough chlorine for today.

Should I stop on my way home and get an OTO? Or, are my other two "leftover" testing methods sufficient for now?

Just me and my two golden retrievers here -- so, no chance that anyone else in the household has added chlorine. I asked them... they just smiled and wagged their tails (same answer as for every other question I ask :) )

Last edited:
Just me and my two golden retrievers here -- so, no chance that anyone else in the household has added chlorine. I asked them... they just smiled and wagged their tails (same answer as for every other question I ask :D )

heh heh :lol: :D

Do you have any pucks in a floater/canister or anything like that?

Ah... I'm a dummy!

No SWG. But, I do have some left-over trichlor in my floaters working to raise the CYA. :oops:

They've been in there since I finished my SLAM. I realized over the weekend that my calculation for how much I needed to raise my CYA by 10 had been way off. So, I added a lot more to the floaters. In a total reversal of my thinking - I forgot that they also added chlorine :)

Thanks everyone for helping me figure it out!!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.