Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I really go two sunny days in AZ with no chlorine loss?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I really go two sunny days in AZ with no chlorine loss?

On Sunday evening:

FC 5.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.6
    TA 110
    CH 400
    CYA 50

Added liquid chlorine to bring FC back up to 8.

Monday morning:

FC 8.5

Tuesday morning:

FC 8.5

Hmmm... that seems weird.

Tuesday evening:

FC 8.5

Thought maybe I'm doing the test too fast now that I'm familiar with it. So, re-did the test immediately and came up with 8.0 - within the testing margin of error.

Is there anything that I could be doing wrong? Is this at all something that would be expected? From everything I've read on the site -- chlorine is a consumable that needs to be replenished daily.

Are there chlorine fairies?
    25K gal, fiberglass, Hayward 1hp pump, Sta-rite 30" sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I really go two sunny days in AZ with no chlorine loss?

Should not be possible without adding chlorine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I know we say that every pool is different, but not losing any chlorine in AZ over two sunny days is very strange...to the point I would say virtually impossible. A few thoughts:
    1. What are you using to test with?
    2. How old are the reagents?
    3. Consider having someone else perform the test as a check to see how close the results are.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    A few thoughts:
    1. What are you using to test with?
    2. How old are the reagents?
    3. Consider having someone else perform the test as a check to see how close the results are.
    I am testing with FAS-DPD chemicals purchased last month

I went through a 2 week SLAM at the end of May to turn my green pool to sparkly and never saw any unexpected results during all the times I tested. Pool is still beautiful and test results haven't showed anything other than what I would expect for the last 3 weeks.

I thought I was done with twice a day testing
    25K gal, fiberglass, Hayward 1hp pump, Sta-rite 30" sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac

5. Back To Top    #5

Silly question, who doesn't love those... right?
    Are you leaving it covered, or uncovered?

I would try the OTO test, as a sanity check to see if it indicates considerably higher chlorine or not. It'll turn orange, brown, or have little floating globs suspended in an otherwise clear sample if it does. But I doubt it's that high, worth checking though, in case your sample is partially bleaching out.

Also, did you run your pump at least 30min prior to testing? This is to circulate the water enough to ensure you don't have any high/low concentrations of Cl.

Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

6. Back To Top    #6

This morning I made sure that the pump had been running for at least 1/2 hour before testing (I think it usually is... but, made sure).

FC 8.0

used ChemTek TruTest Strips

FC 6.0

used chlorine test from my Taylor K2005 (don't have an OTO yet)

FC 5+

The pool is uncovered.

For the last 3 weeks, I have been adding somewhere around a quart a day. It seems like the other two tests (however inaccurate they may be) still think I have enough chlorine for today.

Should I stop on my way home and get an OTO? Or, are my other two "leftover" testing methods sufficient for now?

Just me and my two golden retrievers here -- so, no chance that anyone else in the household has added chlorine. I asked them... they just smiled and wagged their tails (same answer as for every other question I ask )
    Last edited by tibunekubda; 06-25-2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: minor clarification

7. Back To Top    #7

You don't have a SWG right?
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just me and my two golden retrievers here -- so, no chance that anyone else in the household has added chlorine. I asked them... they just smiled and wagged their tails (same answer as for every other question I ask )
    heh heh

Do you have any pucks in a floater/canister or anything like that?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

9. Back To Top    #9

Ah... I'm a dummy!

No SWG. But, I do have some left-over trichlor in my floaters working to raise the CYA.

They've been in there since I finished my SLAM. I realized over the weekend that my calculation for how much I needed to raise my CYA by 10 had been way off. So, I added a lot more to the floaters. In a total reversal of my thinking - I forgot that they also added chlorine

Thanks everyone for helping me figure it out!!
    Last edited by tibunekubda; 06-25-2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Fix emoticon

10. Back To Top    #10

Glad you figured it out!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

11. Back To Top    #11

Yaayyyy you got it nailed!! Glad the dogs were at least willing.

Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Do you have any pucks in a floater/canister or anything like that?
    Nice call Butterfly!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.