Brand New Pool, Whisperflo Pump WILL NOT PRIME

wanjayne

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2012
Wichita, KS
I hope we can get some help. Just completed our beautiful new pool build, filled with water as of yesterday, and we cannot get pump to prime. We've followed instructions to the T and have repeated the process countless times. We've read every thread on here I could find. Can't find any air leaks. O-rings are fine. There is Teflon tape & dope on the threaded connectors attached to the pump. Could that be an issue? We're just sick about this and hoping there's not an air leak under ground or even worse, under the concrete deck. All plumbing was pressure tested before we backfilled. Here's a photo of the pad.

Is it time to call in the professionals? I'm worried what's happening to water chemistry while we try to get this figured out. DH has to leave for a week in a couple of days.

Thanks for any advice we can get.

Jan

Have you tried priming when all but one of the suction lines is closed off at their individual valves? You should try all three suction lines one line at a time.

How far above the water level is the pump?

And just to double check the obvious: do you fill the pump strainer basket with water each time you try to prime the pump?

Generally it is best to use only paste to seal the larger threaded connections, but I have seen it down every possible way and still work.

Dave - This is a DYI project. Hired excavation, electrical, pool bottom & liner installation. DH did all the plumbing. Jason - Yes we've isolated the suction lines and tried each one separately. The pump may actually be at or slightly below water level. DH just realized he didn't seal the drain plugs in the pump.. could that be the issue?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A few other things to check:

Does the filter pressure go up when the pump is turned on?

Does air come out of the filter air relief if it is opened?

Is the pump basket in correctly and fully seated?

Are the skimmer weirs sticking closed?

Is the pump wired correctly?

Are all of the valves open?

Are you starting the pump on high or low speed?

Can you give a better description of what happens when you turn on the pump?

:party:We have prime!!!!!! The culprit was the pipe going directly into front of the pump!! OH what a AWESOME feeling.. to see water coming out of the returns!!! Once that section was removed and replaced, she primed within seconds. Pressure gauge on filter shows 15 psi.

Now we can add salt and get this water balanced!

Thanks so much for all the help! Can't image life without this site :cheers:

Jan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.