Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie starting to get algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie starting to get algae

New AGP owner (installed end of March 2014). I've been on the TFP Method since day one and love it. This past week the kids have been gone a lot and the pool has not been getting used much if any. I have the Confer Entry Steps. Over the weekend I noticed some algae on the down stream side of the steps and on the bottom of the pool on the same side of the ladder. I wasn't much, but it was enough to be noticed. My water temp has been mostly around 88-90, but drops to mid-80's with rain. I have a 2 speed pump and have been running it on low for 10 hours per day (5 in the morning and 5 at night). I get at least 10 hours of sun per day and no trees. I brushed the algae, but ever since I've been brushing daily in small areas, but I notice a cloud of dust or algae at the end of each sweep.

This past Sunday my levels were as follows:

FC- 3 (targeting 5 and usually loosing 3 ppm per day with full sun)
    CC-0
    pH- 7.8 (added acid and brought back down to 7.5)
    TA- 110
    CYA- 40 (maybe more like 37 or 38)

My overnight chlorine loss was 0 a few weeks ago when I checked before the sun came up. Sunday the overnight FC loss was at most 1 ppm, but I didn't get to it until about 9 AM. Since this started I turned the pump on high for 8.5 hours per day, but I'm still having the problem (and the kids haven't gotten in until tonight).

First, is this normal. IF not, what to do? Second, we are about to go out of town for 10 days and my father-in-law will be adding chlorine, but I doubt he will brush or swim. What to do?
    18'x54" Round AGP, 7,600 Gallons
    150 sq ft Cartridge Filter, 2-speed 2hp pump (Hard Plumbed)
    TFPC Method
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie starting to get algae

You obviously have a low level algae bloom that ain't gonna fix itself as they say. I'd get it SLAMmed per pool school before I left. Then I'd take my CYA to 40 and maintain a minimum of 4 FC and target of 8 and see how much you lose daily.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, +1 to woody's comments. SLAM. You should be able to get in front of this easily.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks folks. Started the process last night before bed. Up early and on it before work. Hope to be done by Sunday for my daughter's birthday party! I'll keep you posted. Once again, a huge thanks.
    TFPC Method
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

My first slam went really well thanks to you guys. I hope to not have to get to that point again. Thankfully, again thanks to you guys, it was a low level algae bloom and the slam went quick. It seems that I need to target the higher end of the FC range (7 or 8) and no lower than 4, to avoid this in the future.

Tomorrow my daughter is having a swim party and we are expecting 15 to 20 teenagers. My guess is 10 to 15 will be in the pool throughout the day. I did a lot of reading old posts and see that it is a good idea to raise the FC before the party. What is a good/safe level to bring it to? I'm coming off of the slam and my FC level was 10 last night and my CYA was at 38 to 40 when I checked it to start the slam.

Thanks again for the advice. This site is awesome.
    TFPC Method
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

FC of 10 to 12 for your cya level should be just fine.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks woody
    TFPC Method
    TF-100 Test Kit