Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter manual does say to change it every 5-7 years

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter manual does say to change it every 5-7 years

Please no one yell at me, but my filter manual does say to change it every 5-7 years. I read that the sand can get worn down and more rounded and thus not as efficient. I do realize sand is as "old as the hills" but I could see the grains rounding from so much action.

Having read the great articles here about cleaning the filter, at the very least doing that every year or two, depending on how much the pool is used, makes a lot of sense.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand

There are high resolution photos on the forum which show that the sand does NOT get worn out or rounded. The only time the sand is even moving inside the filter is during backwashing ... which is what maybe 60 minutes per year.

Anyone ever have the rock polishers to make smooth rocks? You have to have them tumbling for days to get them to start wearing down.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Filter manual does say to change it every 5-7 years

Most matter that goes thru the sand isn't hard enough to wear it down, are they assuming the sand rubbing against itself wears it out?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I just deep cleaned my filter for the first time in 4 years. I assure you that sand looked like it was fresh off the mountain, rough, granular.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I have never changed my sand in nine years and never intend to.

That said, I certainly don't see any harm that can come from it if it is done right....oops, Now that I think about it, I recall many, many posts where people have damaged laterals, overfilled and didn't leave enough freeboard, been unable to get filter to seal, etc. etc. from attempting to change the sand.

Clean the sand bi-annually or more depending on use but change the sand? The more I think about that, it really adds up to a bad idea.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I am a pool newbie and do not have years of experience. I am just posting what the filter website says. Our filter is really old, and we need to inspect the laterals due to sand blowing back into our pool, so we have to change it anyway. I am not educated enough at this point to form a real opinion.

"HOW OFTEN SHOULD I CHANGE THE SAND ON MY ASTRALPOOL FILTER?

Water is highly aggressive and overtime can wear down the sharp edges on each particle of sand, allowing sand to become "rounded out" or "dual" preventing it to trap unwanted materials. This is why we strongly recommended that all ASTRALPOOL filtration systems receive new media every 5-7 years on a pool and every 3-5 years on a spa. This will ensure optimum performance."

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, but as we have stated the manual is simply wrong and should be ignored.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Ah, i guess i missed that. Thanks! There is alot to read and understand!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Jeniloohoo View Post
    Ah, i guess i missed that. Thanks! There is alot to read and understand!
    Aint that the truth!
    I guess the "glass is half empty" side of me is showing this morning, but is there a chance the filter company wants to sell more filter media? Does it say somewhere in the manual only use XYZ sand?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Aint that the truth!
    I guess the "glass is half empty" side of me is showing this morning, but is there a chance the filter company wants to sell more filter media? Does it say somewhere in the manual only use XYZ sand?
    No, no sales pitch. I am unfortunately a very trusting person and after too many years of getting burned, still believe in people's good intentions initially. Lol. Filtering through all the info can be confusing! But now that I am reading more, i see others have been confused by all the conflicting info!

My filter is probably close to 30 years old, and I do not believe it has ever been cleaned. I have only had a sparkly pool for a few days, so time will tell as I get to know it better, especially once we open it up.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Jeniloohoo View Post
    No, no sales pitch. I am unfortunately a very trusting person and after too many years of getting burned, still believe in people's good intentions initially. Lol. Filtering through all the info can be confusing! But now that I am reading more, i see others have been confused by all the conflicting info!

My filter is probably close to 30 years old, and I do not believe it has ever been cleaned. I have only had a sparkly pool for a few days, so time will tell as I get to know it better, especially once we open it up.
    Well, in my 35 year career people lied to me every day - sad to say. I have become slightly less trusting and prove things to myself.

This is my first pool, and as I have said all the information I'm getting is like drinking from a fire hose.

Unless you have a heater, I bet that water is a bit chilly in ME!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon