Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my main drain open?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my main drain open?

I've mastered my chemicals but my pump is still a mystery to me. I'm going on vacation and I want to make sure my main drain is open. When my spa drained last month, I started cranking valves and I'm not sure if I left it opened or closed.

I tried testing it by sending my 9 year old to the bottom of the pool with a bottle of food coloring to see if the dye was being pulled down. When the valve was in what I thought was the "off" position, my son insisted that the dye went in the drain. I don't trust him...because he's 9. What say you trouble free pool?

17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my main drain open?

In the upper picture the valve is open and in the lower picture it is closed/blocked.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is my main drain open?

Thank you so much.
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.