Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gas Line Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Gas Line Question

I've got a 200K NG Raypak coming tomorrow. There is already gas line running from the meter to a manual shut off valve (which is capped) from a prior heater. My question is can I use flexible gas line to finish the run between the shut off valve and the heater. Probably only be about 2 feet. Also, does there need to be a rigid (iron) nipple coming directly off the heater if I do actually get to use flexible piping? Thanks for all the help.
    12,000 gal, IG, Fiberglass
    Sand Filter,
    Auto Cover
    Raypak 206A NG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gas Line Question

I am not positive, but I think I have read that flex is not allowed by code for that application. Might want to check with your local authority. There should also be a T trap (terminology?) before going into the heater I think.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure that you'll get the flow you need with flex, but I could be wrong. 200k is a fair amount of gas and rigid piping has much less restriction.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Ive seen it done but you need to verify your local codes on this. Personally I wouldn't do it.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's the final product. No major issues w the Raypak.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12,000 gal, IG, Fiberglass
    Sand Filter,
    Auto Cover
    Raypak 206A NG

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks perfect to my limited understanding ... way better than the hack done at the house I bought.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!