Pool Just Flooded - now what?

I cannot believe the amount of rain that I just got. It is still coming down, but the worst seems to be through. We are not set up for this kind of rain in my part of the country. Unfortunately I had a waterfall over my retaining wall and I ended up with water running into the pool. A lot. I backwashed a couple of times during the storm (nothing scary about running through that kind of rain in the lightening). But finally had to stop that because my pump was sitting in water about 2 inches up on it. I was afraid to use it after that. I now have a very dirty pool. I will get the pump running again as soon as I can, but the bigger question is how worried should I be about the runoff? My neighbor has the kind of septic that sprays water in his backyard. Some of the runoff that came into my yard had to have come out of his yard - of course his septic sprinklers were going through the whole event. Should I drain and start over? How much bleach do you think it will take to fix this? I can drain and refill for about $70 (water is cheap where I live).

Also any thoughts about the fact that my pump had water over the bottom part of it? And will you say a prayer for my septic system? I have no idea what kind of problems I may have with it after this kind of water (but thankfully it is far away from my pool).

Pictures - as it was going bad - see the brown going into the perfectly blue water?

Just for my curiosity what part of the country is this? as to what to do next, i'd say give the pump motor a day to bake in the sun and hopefully dry out, motors don't usually do well after the windings get wet. also the exercise yours will get cleaning that up is likely to be considerable. as for where the runoff came from, I wouldn't worry too much, there is nothing organic that an adequate FC can't handle. you may have a chore with getting all the dirt/mud off the bottom, but it can be done. hopefully your septic survives the event no worse for the wear, and please consider not trying to dodge lightning should this happen again, you will need to survive the storm if you want to fix the pool....

Just for my curiosity what part of the country is this? as to what to do next, i'd say give the pump motor a day to bake in the sun and hopefully dry out, motors don't usually do well after the windings get wet. also the exercise yours will get cleaning that up is likely to be considerable. as for where the runoff came from, I wouldn't worry too much, there is nothing organic that an adequate FC can't handle. you may have a chore with getting all the dirt/mud off the bottom, but it can be done. hopefully your septic survives the event no worse for the wear, and please consider not trying to dodge lightning should this happen again, you will need to survive the storm if you want to fix the pool....

I am in drought ridden DFW on the West side of Fort Worth. I grew up with crazy storms, but I have never ever seen it rain like this for so long. It was crazy. Thanks for the advice - I probably wouldn't have been running through the storm, but had the pool breached, it would have been in my house. When all this was built it just wasn't built to handle that kind of rain all at once. Fingers crossed that the lake will see a bit of improvement. I will hold off on turning on the pump - I never would have imagined in my wildest dreams that I would need to be worried about it being in water like that!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.