Need some advise! Vacation

Aug 30, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I've read over some post and I only have a little time since I still don't have internet installed at my new house..uggg... long story. I get the opportunity to camp out at Starbucks a couple of times a week. Here's my situation: hubby got told today to take his vacation or lose it. This is both great and not so great due to the expense we've had moving into a new house. Anyway, we are going to go away for a week, leaving in a few days.

So..I have no pool cover. I have no local friends yet.
My CYA has been brought down to 90 at best with a pretty significant drain and refill. It was hitting over 200 when we moved in June 6. I've been testing and keeping my numbers at the recommended rates. The cost of bleach is leading me to believe that I need to drop do another major drain and get my CYA to about 40. That's another post though.

What is your best advise? I do have the cartridge thing from the frogger system that I took out after my 1st week. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to handle the pool before I leave and hope for the best while I"m gone. I'm considering putting the cartridge back in and adding come pucks and just straighten out the CYA when I get home. I think I would rather deal with drain and refill than green pool. Only one I've ever deal with before. I've never had any issues with algae because I've always used TFP! Thoughts?

With CYA around 90 you can go most of a week just by raising the pool to shock level. But I don't think it would actually last a whole week with just that. However, shock level plus four or five trichlor tablets should be enough.

I'll advise you with my advice which is to let the pool open to collect any rain water you might get.
Adding some pucks won't hurt if you're already aware of the need to drain water upon return to get your CYA down to 40. I've never purchased pucks before but did notice that Lowes had some individually wrapped ones for sale. I guess I wouldn't want to invest in a bucket of them so this might be the way to go if you don't already have some?
Just plan on coming back and starting a drain and refill.
ENJOY your time away too!!

Thanks! Also, from time to time, my polaris gets stuck on the stairs. Would it be a bad idea to rig up something to block it like maybe (don't laugh) use some plastic wrap or something like that to wrap around the steps using something like a pool noodle in the space where it gets stuck (between the rail and the wall).

My neighbor just set up his new pool and overshot is his CYA and chlorine levels. His CYA level is 90, chlorine was 21. We've let it come down on it's own, and it's fallen at 3 ppm per day. So I think you could get away for a week at shock level IF you had a pool cover. He has a pool cover on his, and weather is cool. He doesn't want to lose the heat he's already gained with the heat pump so he has let the chlorine level fall on it's own. After 4 days we are down to between 8 and 9. However every pool is different. If you had it covered, you might have a chance.

Would it hurt (much) if I put the bac pac from the frog system in. There is some liquid in the tube (I think tri-cl). I know this will add more CYA but I will deal with draining when I get back. I would rather drain and refill than have to deal with algae.

If I use the pucks in a floater or the pac in the frog system, would I still need to add liquid cl to get to shock level?

I am going to be gone for 9 days. I do have a guy coming to do the yard 3 days after we leave as well as the day we are getting back home. I could ask him to dump some cl in if needed, but I really want to know if I can get by with "reinstalling" the frog cartridge and adding liquid bleach.

With CYA around 90 you can go most of a week just by raising the pool to shock level. But I don't think it would actually last a whole week with just that. However, shock level plus four or five trichlor tablets should be enough.

It isn't the way we would like to do it but with the limitations you've presented it's likely the best way to keep it clean till you return and since you're already going to dump water a little more CYA isn't going to matter much.

Thanks! I'm going to hope for the best but I know if I come home to green pool then I can deal with that as well!
One more quick question should I run my pump 24/7 while I"m gone especially with the cl level so high (at least at the beginning of my trip). I ended up putting two monster size disc of triclor in the feeder where the frogger cartridge is supposed to go. I'm guessing that is an okay way to do it. I took out the frog cartridge and have added liquid cl to the pool. It should be at shock level according to my calculations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ahhhh!!! Relief!
I got home after a 9 day trip and I was pleasantly surprised to see a blue pool! I took out the monster tabs from the "in line feeder" (where the frogger system cartridge usually goes) and tested everything. It all looked great except I ran out of reagent to see what my CYA was. I've got an order in for some more and will keep my CL a bit on the high side until I can get a CYA reading.

Thanks again for the support!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.