slime/film in the filter

Aug 3, 2013
Seaville NJ
Been battling on and off green stuff at bottom of pool... ordered the special testing kit will be here in a few days. Added 1big jug of bleach yesterday and 2 more today. Every morning however it needs to be vacuumed of the spotty green on the bottom. I also noticed that my light has algae (i think) inside! Thinking it may be the trigger point?

round 13,500 gal pool
vinyl
put in last year. Had bad algae problem last year. You guys helped me clear it up!

any suggestions while I wait for the testing kit?
Thanks a ton

- - - Updated - - -

oh and 4 days ago I added one box of borax and two days ago muratic acid (2 cups) to lower ph

How have you been testing last year and this year up until now? Got any test results? How do you normally chlorinate?
How did you decide how much bleach, borax and MA to use?

Well I guess just using the test strips from the store allowed me to guesstimate...
this morn I used the little testing kit from the pool store- ph soooo high it was fuchsia and chlorine really high
I added 2 cups of MA to help lower just now.
Perhaps the ph is helping the alge to survive. Well at least the levels of chlorine is still high from last night.
Hows that for no test kit? ugh...
pool is clear with less green at bottom

- - - Updated - - -

Divin Dave... I have to lower the pool water don't I to do this? TY!

Super high FC reacts with the pH test reagent and makes it read artificially high. So stop playing with pH or when the FC drops to normal, you may find yourself dealing with super low pH.

Without the proper test kit, you're working blind. It would be like painting a picture wearing a blindfold. You'll get lots of paint on the canvas, but the results will not be pretty and you'll have wasted a lot of paint and ruined the canvas.

Looking back...on 08-15-2013, 04:48 AM you posted "have to order one of the proper testing kits". It should have arrived by now. :rolleyes:

Get the right test kit. Study the Shock Level And Maintain directions and follow them explicitly. That includes using the right test kit. Then your pool will clear up. This could be the very last time you ever have to clear the swamp.

The light should have a screw you loosen and then the whole thing tilts up and out and it should have enough cord to allow you to set the light itself on the deck while you scrub out the niche in the wall. It doesn't need to be drained.

FC 13.5
No CC's
13.5 TC
Ta= 110
CYA 40
CH 125

How does this look? Don't know how to figure out what the levels should be in my 13,500 round 4 ft deep vinyl pool

OK, Good. How does the water look? Did you clean the light out? How do you normally chlorinate your pool? (You said you added liquid, but is that your current normal process?)

Based on these answers, you may need to SLAM. But, I would wait til the FC drops below 10 to get a pH reading. If you have sun on it today and/or have something growing, you should be below 10 later today.
Once you get the pH reading, you can use PoolMath at the top of the screen to fill in all your info to see what you need.

Thanks! Water looks good I jumped in and ran my foot in the edge between bottom and sides some green began to fog up. I purposely did all over pool, moved steps and found more.

I usually just add plain bleach. I went to that at the end of last year after fixing a BLACK pool.

Afraid to do light by self just yet. Wanted to see the numbers first. as that seems like a big deal.

Fc is the reading with the more simple blue box right?

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
- - - Updated - - -

ok if you're still around : )
I have FC 7.5
and did ph test and it's also 7.5

Vacuumed and pool is just a bit cloudy can see bottom just cloudy

Please pardon the ignorance... I thought we could just use liquid bleach- went to the pool math page and I see various chemical names to plug in.
I really want to do this correctly. And then I need to research the charts and plug in the goal for the numbers right?

- - - Updated - - -

ok if you're still around : )
I have FC 7.5
and did ph test and it's also 7.5

Vacuumed and pool is just a bit cloudy can see bottom just cloudy

Please pardon the ignorance... I thought we could just use liquid bleach- went to the pool math page and I see various chemical names to plug in.
I really want to do this correctly. And then I need to research the charts and plug in the goal for the numbers right?
Liquid bleach is the preferred choice. You're only juggling one parameter that way. A lengthier explanation is here in Pool School.

You needn't do a whole lot of research. If you enter you chlorine source and pool surface and tfp down at the bottom of poolmath, it will give suggested ranges. They are not absolutes, however. More explanation of how to use poolmath is here in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.