Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Foam floor instead of sand what do you use to keep the ladder from crushing foam?

1. Back To Top    #1

Foam floor instead of sand what do you use to keep the ladder from crushing foam?

Hey guys, going through details here, I am concerned about one aspect. That being the ladder that goes in the pool.

What should be used to keep the ladder from crushing the foam?

I am concerned that not only will the foam get crushed, but it could also cause a tear in the liner if that did happen.

I know they sell a thick vinyl pad that the ladder sits on, but does that keep the foam from getting crushed?

If I need to put something down in place of the foam where the ladder will be for a solid base for the ladder, I have no problem, but what is the best thing to use?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Foam floor instead of sand what do you use to keep the ladder from crushing foam?

Some folks use a bathmat under the ladder to protect the liner but I don't know if that would protect the foam. I did see one post a few years back where they put a pair of child's water sandals on the feet of the ladder. Unfortunately the image link doesn't work anymore, but it was a cute idea and spreads the downward forces over a wider area.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Foam floor instead of sand what do you use to keep the ladder from crushing foam?

I sliced off a piece of pool noodle and placed it over the feet of the ladder where they make contact with the floor. Works great and it's cheap!

4. Back To Top    #4

NW PA, halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie in the PA snowbelt

Pool noodle is a great idea. Better than a mat I think.

I have a 3/4 inch thick black rubberized mat that I got at Tractor Supply. It's sort of like a truck bed mat material. You buy it by the foot off a big roll. Only problem is with the water circulation, it will flow out from under the steps now and then. We are always moving it back. I'm going to do the noodle thing as that's a fantastic idea.
    Mike

22' round Intex UltraFrame pool, Intex 633T 2500gph paper cartridge filter/pump
    with broken Intex SWG, using bleach this year
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm kind of in the same boat, going to put the insulation down under the pool. Has anyone ever had a problem with just the ladder on the floor with foam/insulation under the pool.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

I read that a pool noodle will fall apart over time.. I use flip flops with the feet zip tied to the straps to keep them in place. I have 1" foam under mine and it will leave an indention if you don't put something down.. not sure if that could lead to more serious problems down the road.
    15x24' Signature RTL (10k gallons), Pentair SuperFlo 1hp dual speed pump, Pentair Clean and Clear RP 150 sqft filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I use a pool noodle as well. And yes, it does fall apart over time. Then I just replace it.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I was at HD getting the pavers for under the legs of my pool and found this. ENVIROTILE They are recycled tires and might work good for under the ladder to distribute the weight and not dimple the foam. They had a decent weight to them so hopefully they won't get pushed around from the current of the pool when the pump is running.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

9. Back To Top    #9

Actually I was thinking of putting something above the foam itself before the liner... if I can find a stiffer, but thin compound that doesn't have sharp edges I think that would work better long-term. My concern with any sort of plastic or somesuch would be that it would crack and puncture the liner... Then again, in the area of the ladder I could skip the 1.5" foam and I could just put down a 1" thick set of pavers where the ladder will be and just put 1/2" foam on top of that area taped to the rest... That way the amount of crush would be insignificant, the foam would protect against abrasion with the pavers and in general everything would be more solid...

The only issue with that is there is no flexibility with moving the ladder anywhere else. Then again, why would I want the ladder anywhere else?

10. Back To Top    #10

I have foam under my Intex and I do not put anything under the feet of the ladder inside the pool. With a pool full of kids all summer, when I took it down last year there were only very slight indentations where the feet were. Certainly not enough to even consider putting anything under the feet this year when I put it up. I actually never even thought of it.

For reference, I used half of the supplied ladder that came with the Intex. I have it mounted onto a deck.