Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie Pool Owner Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie Pool Owner Questions

I have a proseries 16 by 48. It is filled. Unfortunately the pool was a last minute purchase so I did my research after it was up and being filled. I do have a test kit coming in the mail, so I wont say my test strip results because I have been reading the forums

My question is this. Since I know my water is tap so the cya would be 0 right? I added 1lb 11 oz of stabilizer. Now do I slam the pool for a few days? If so do I do it with the cya still at 0 or at 30ppm according to what I added? Do I add baking soda now or after slamming or when test kit comes? I guess I just need to know what to do if anything to keep my pool good while the test strips get here.

Thank you so much for any help you can give
    -Krista

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie Pool Owner Questions

Welcome to TFP!!!

Thanks for reading and ordering a test kit before posting

If it is new water, there is no need to SLAM. Just maintain the correct FC level with bleach for the amount of CYA you added (assume it is active) from the FC/CYA Chart.

Why do you need to add baking soda? It raises the TA, do you already know your TA is low?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I know nothing until my test kit comes. I just really had no idea on what to do because most of what I was reading pertains to already set up pools and not freshly filled pools. Thank you so much for answering quickly! Just add bleach until I know my levels for sure.
    16 by 48" 5000 gallons, AG, skimmer plus 1500 filter pump with gfci

4. Back To Top    #4

The only test I found was the ph and chlorine one so I went ahead and got that until my kit comes. It says my ph is 6.8. Should I do anything about that now?
    16 by 48" 5000 gallons, AG, skimmer plus 1500 filter pump with gfci

5. Back To Top    #5

Let your fill water splash into the pool. That will raise the pH. Until its full, just add some bleach to keep it from going green. I wouldn't do anything else.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Add a little bleach and then swim/splash in it ... that should help raise the pH

Can you be more specific about what ph/chlorine test you got?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!