My Quest Begins - New Pool Owner - w/ Detailed Pics

KDFraz

May 15, 2014
md
UPDATE:: I'm back at it two years later. Finally got the pump to "partially" run by changing the capacitors. I've been told the second pump was a booster pump to assist with the flow of the waterfall and the spa. I may be replacing that pump tomorrow. I was able to get the waterfall feature to flow this morning and the spa jets to work, sort of. I'm in the process of learning how to use the valves for operation and relabeling them. I hope we can swim over the weekend.

2016 Progress

2016 Progress

I still have work to do.
2016 Progress

I've been a member of the forum for a few months and read many of the posts here and will be asking a few questions myself soon. I am about to start reading the beginner's information and wanted to share my story here. My original plan is to re-plaster the pool myself but we'll see how that goes. I'm really good at DIY projects so it all depends on how much information I can find to get the job done.

My story is like many others I've read on here. I purchased a house with a swamp for a pool but instead of having a swamp full of water the previous owners emptied the pool/ spa and haven't used it in a few years. Right now there is rain and snow water in the pool. I've read water have to be in the pool in order to keep the pool in the ground and that excessive heat would also cause issues to an empty pool.

I will update my original post with information. All constructive criticism welcomed. Thanks BmoreSwim **thumbs up**

Pool Size: 18x36 (Estimate)
Spa Size: 8' Diameter (Estimate)

Additional info: There are two apple tree's near the pool (Two trees directly behind the pool) and a Japanese maple that is on the side of the pool deck (far right of the pictures).

Images are below:

image1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: My Quest Begins - New Pool Owner

I will upload the images to an external site soon.

I have more images and can take pictures of whatever is needed to be soon.

Filter System:

I'm not sure if this first image means plaster work or not. After I clean the pool and before I fill it of course.

Edit: I'm updating the images with images from an outside hosting source.

Last edited:
My Quest Begins - New Pool Owner

I'd be tempted to get an acid wash of everything (pool, deck, diving board, etc) and run the pool for a year or so to get a feel for the pool and taking care of the water. This time would also give you a feel for how the pool works for you and if there is anything else you would like to do at the plaster time.

I've not heard of anyone actually plastering their pool with their own arms, but would love to read/watch/celebrate a successful outcome. I saw ours done,
and the resultant quality, and felt it was a good job for someone else.

I hope that's positive advice. I tend to be more realistic than overly positive. Only asking for positive advice could be limiting. If you go ahead with the re-plaster now and by yourself or not, you're in the right place to make the most informed decision possible.

You certainly have a beautiful setting to work with and what looks to be a solid structure.

How much sun does your pool get? Do you think it would be a good idea to remove any of the trees due to shade or debris? If you have no supplementary heat in MD, the closer to full sun you can get the better
for swimming comfort. I find that as I get older the less tolerant I am of cooler water temperatures.

Edit- of course you have a heater (spa). Duh.

Only asking for positive advice could be limiting.

You certainly have a beautiful setting to work with and what looks to be a solid structure.

How much sun does your pool get? Do you think it would be a good idea to remove any of the trees due to shade or debris? If you have no supplementary heat in MD, the closer to full sun you can get the better
for swimming comfort. I find that as I get older the less tolerant I am of cooler water temperatures.

Edit- of course you have a heater (spa). Duh.

I edited my original post regarding the positive advice. Wise words, thank you! I changed it to Constructive Criticism.

I don't know how in debt or labor intensive plastering is so I don't have a realistic idea if it's a project I can handle with my schedule. If I can acid wash (I've read this is harsh) or even power wash the pool and use it for the season to get a feel for the pool, as you stated, then that would be my first option.

-The sun rise from behind the trees that are behind the fence in the picture. The trees are TALL. I plan to prune the apple tree's in the fall and yes I do have a heater. I have to make sure it's in good condition since it's gas and haven't been used in a while.

- I also have a wife and two kids one on the way and a 2 year old so a baby gate or fence of some sort will be added to my project.

A separate fence around only the pool might be a good option (if there's enough room between the pool and the house). With that, in the off-season (most of the year in MD), you have a pool that is off-limits to the young ones and physically separated for the older ones...yes they can get in but it keeps the honest kids honest.

I'll be honest, I'm afraid of a pool with no physical separation between it and the house with young kids...but since most pools are like this when you consider the number of pools in areas with commonly less square footage yards (FL, TX and CA for example), I guess it's just my thing and not that big of a deal. In order to deal with my excessive safety "issue" we also installed an autocover.

Better to have shade in the morning when the sun is less intense versus in the afternoon when the heat gain is greater. Hopefully all of your equipment fires up and is in at least some sort of working order...if the pool gods are shining down on you.

Your first picture in the post #2 above is hard for me put into context without some frame of reference. The following pictures are not able to be seen at first or by clicking on them.

The attached image in the second post is a shot of the plaster in the shallow end of the pool. I will use my DSLR to take clear images soon.

I guess my new question would be is it recommended fill and use the pool for a season or two and and in the meantime save to get it re-plastered or is the damage enough to consider filling the pool in with dirt?

Last edited:

I'm no expert but seeing what people have done/are doing to restore buried 1960s pools, no you definitely don't need to fill it in!

It's going to be gorgeous with some work and kids have a tendency to grow up, they're going to love it for years to come.

That is going to be so pretty when you get it done!

I would be looking into a child proof fence around the pool given the ages of your child and upcoming child. Better safe than sorry in my book.

I would see about cleaning and giving it a go to see what happens.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Here is a better look at the pool. I can start the acid wash/ power wash process in a few weeks. I just want to assure that I wont be wasting time and money if I need to fix certain areas of the plaster first.

I'm going to update the original post with more pictures.

I can't give any advice if you choose to replaster the pool yourself. However, I bought a foreclosed house 3 years ago with a neglected older pool (circa 1980s). My pool contractor gave me great advice: only fix what needs to be fixed to get the pool up and running. I followed this sage advice. I ended up having to spend a significant amount of money just to get the pool working (acid wash, electrical work, new above ground plumbing with jandy values, installing a pressure cleaner and booster pump, new pump, replace timers).

I have also spent some money improving the back yard.

I also have a large amount of tree cover and decided this year to remove trees vs replastering. If I replastered, I would still be stuck with a cold pool that has only gotten up to 77 degrees this year. I have a heater, but the cost to heat is prohibitively expensive for me. I also spend a lot of time cleaning the pool because of the excess tree debris.

I still need to do additional work to make my pool more enjoyable (lights and new cover), but the main systems work. I have decided to work on cosmetic issues last.

Best of luck and can't wait to see the transformation!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, the hole above the water line appears to be a waterfall.

I can't give any advice if you choose to replaster the pool yourself. However, I bought a foreclosed house 3 years ago with a neglected older pool (circa 1980s). My pool contractor gave me great advice: only fix what needs to be fixed to get the pool up and running. I followed this sage advice. I ended up having to spend a significant amount of money just to get the pool working (acid wash, electrical work, new above ground plumbing with jandy values, installing a pressure cleaner and booster pump, new pump, replace timers).

I have also spent some money improving the back yard.

I also have a large amount of tree cover and decided this year to remove trees vs replastering. If I replastered, I would still be stuck with a cold pool that has only gotten up to 77 degrees this year. I have a heater, but the cost to heat is prohibitively expensive for me. I also spend a lot of time cleaning the pool because of the excess tree debris.

I still need to do additional work to make my pool more enjoyable (lights and new cover), but the main systems work. I have decided to work on cosmetic issues last.

Best of luck and can't wait to see the transformation!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, the hole above the water line appears to be a waterfall.

Great information, that is where I will put my focus. fixing what needs to be fixed to get the pool up and running. And a waterfall :) I'm sure my family would love to hear that news.

Slight Bump:
By the looking at the images I attached do you all think the plaster will stand up to an acid wash + power wash? In addition, do you all recommend patching the one area where it look like the plaster chipped and eroded?

I would say yes and yes but with no real basis for it. Hopefully others can provide more enlightened responses.

Wow... look at that tile! You should try an restore it! This is a cool pool!

I did a few major things this weekend.

- I started cleaning the spa by draining and acid washing it. I started here since I still had water in the pool and it was a small area to test my Acid washing skill on. I have to finish the lower part of the spa.
- I drained most of the water from the pool leaving a small amount of water in the base of the deep end since it's hot this week. I am going to do the pool in sections over the next few weeks.
- I swept most of the dirt and debris towards the deep end of the main pool so I can use the wet vac one day this week to clean it up before I start the acid wash on the pool.

Progress and Images. All constructive criticism is welcomed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.