Brand New Pool...Where do I start?

Jun 24, 2014
Navarre, Florida
Hello and first of all thank you to all of you moderators out there for helping all of us new pool owners.

I just had a 27' round above ground pool installed this past Friday. I'm still waiting on the electrician to run power to the pump so I can start adding my chemicals. The pool store sold us Pristine Blue because I have a son who is very sensative to chlorine. But, after reading all about the Pristine Blue I've decided I think I should try the TFP way and see how my son is able to tolerate it.

So, here is my question....the water has been sitting since Sunday and is starting to look a little cloudy and I can feel a little slime on the walls. I'm going to buy a couple extension cords to get the pump going temporarily. I don't want to use the Pristine shock treatment so how can I get this pool ready for swimmers?

Here are the readings from the pool store water test:

PH=7.6
TA=160
CH=10

That's all that was on the printout so I don't know the other numbers yet. I'm ordering a test kit as soon as I finish writing this post.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Dan

Hi, welcome to TFP! Use plain, unscented grocery store bleach to add chlorine to the pool. Pour in a 61 ounce jug in the evening and use a pool brush to brush the walls and mix in the bleach at the same time. Once your pump is hooked up and your test kit arrives you can start getting your CYA added and have a better idea of what your pool needs. For now a jug of bleach every evening will kill off any algae, and the chlorine should burn off during the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.