Drain for Hayward DE filter

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
I have the Hayward EC50C90 Series D.E. filter (Fiber Clear cellulose charged) and it has a drain on the bottom for cleaning and, well, draining! As it stands now, once or twice a season I have to drain the filter to remove the built-up crud in the bottom, but it makes a big mess if I just open up the plug and flush it out. I'm about to the point where it needs it again, and I would like to do some sort of plumbing of the drain to take the mess away from the pool. My question is, are the threads for the plug NPT and what size male threads would fit it? Thanks in advance!

Thanks to both kiss4afrog and jblizzle for the responses. I ended up going with a 1-1/2" PVC male adapter right into the bottom of the filter, including the original O-ring and PVC thread dope. If I did it again I would probably knock off the hex shoulders of the adapter where it interferes with seating on the filter, but as is it still holds without leaking. Then an elbow, valve and another elbow so that I can make a U-turn with the flush water, connected to a sump pump hose. All is well!

This may be off-topic, and if it is I'm sorry, but I'm curious. To where do you drain your dirty DE? I laid hose to a gutter drain which resulted in a big mess in the street (should've known that's where it went... i was desperate... and kinda slow lol). There has to be better way, right?

Perfect timing on this thread. I just built a shed around my filter and was wondering what I was going to do about cleaning my filter. Duh! Plumb in some stuff to the bottom which then exits the shed through a cut out...Thanks!! This really helped!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.