Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain for Hayward DE filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain for Hayward DE filter

I have the Hayward EC50C90 Series D.E. filter (Fiber Clear cellulose charged) and it has a drain on the bottom for cleaning and, well, draining! As it stands now, once or twice a season I have to drain the filter to remove the built-up crud in the bottom, but it makes a big mess if I just open up the plug and flush it out. I'm about to the point where it needs it again, and I would like to do some sort of plumbing of the drain to take the mess away from the pool. My question is, are the threads for the plug NPT and what size male threads would fit it? Thanks in advance!
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drain for Hayward DE filter

I think it is a standard fitting. Take the plug out and go to the hardware store. Some members have added plumbing and a ball valve to open/close the line.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I think it is a standard fitting. Take the plug out and go to the hardware store. Some members have added plumbing and a ball valve to open/close the line.
    Thanks. I could do that, I know. I was just hoping someone had done it and would know exactly what to get. Maybe I'll have time to take it down and run to Lowe's.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The part number of the ball valve Hayward recommends for the drain is an SP0723. I don't know what the term is for the thread if you were to walk in but if you took the present one with you that should be enough.

Manual: http://www.manualowl.com/m/Hayward/P.../Manual/211965

Part: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002EL3YJW/...l_4v0b6z0n2o_e
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I could guess ... likely a 1.5" male thread is needed. But I am not sure if your filter is the same as mine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks to both kiss4afrog and jblizzle for the responses. I ended up going with a 1-1/2" PVC male adapter right into the bottom of the filter, including the original O-ring and PVC thread dope. If I did it again I would probably knock off the hex shoulders of the adapter where it interferes with seating on the filter, but as is it still holds without leaking. Then an elbow, valve and another elbow so that I can make a U-turn with the flush water, connected to a sump pump hose. All is well!

7. Back To Top    #7

This may be off-topic, and if it is I'm sorry, but I'm curious. To where do you drain your dirty DE? I laid hose to a gutter drain which resulted in a big mess in the street (should've known that's where it went... i was desperate... and kinda slow lol). There has to be better way, right?
    ~30,000 gal. in-ground pool with vinyl liner; Filter: Hayward EC65A (DE); Pump: Hayward SuperPump
    Pool installed in the mid-to-late-1980s. Cracked return lines, but bypassed with above-ground PVC pipe connections.

8. Back To Top    #8

Perfect timing on this thread. I just built a shed around my filter and was wondering what I was going to do about cleaning my filter. Duh! Plumb in some stuff to the bottom which then exits the shed through a cut out...Thanks!! This really helped!
    26,700 Gal., 18x36 IG pool with Vinyl. 1HP Hayward Super Pump; Hayward DE3620 Filter; Hayward SAS; TFT-100 test kit; Dolphin Atlantis Cleaner.