Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dolphin Nautilus versus Dolphin Triton...Which One?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dolphin Nautilus versus Dolphin Triton...Which One?

I've narrowed it down to these two...but honestly I can't figure out if the Triton is worth the extra $. The basic functionality seems the same from what I've been able to find. Aside from the arms that make cleaning the water line easier, a one year longer warranty and the possible optional remote (Triton) what's different between the two?
    19,200 Vinyl IG, Hayward 1HP Super Pump, Hayward DE-2400 Filter, Stenner 45MHP10 with 15 gallon tank, Dolphin Nautilus, Roof Mounted SunGrabber Solar Panels with separate 3/4HP pump and self-designed solar pump controller. Stand alone 4 person MasterSpa hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dolphin Nautilus versus Dolphin Triton...Which One?

I wish mine had a remote. Keep that in mind. There are times the robot will miss little spots and it would be nice to just drive it to the right areas that need to be cleaned.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Hi Jimsky - That is funny as I have the Triton on my pool and my father has the Nautilus, you really have nailed all the feature differences in your post, with the exception of The Triton comes with a caddy and the Nautilus does not. The main thing I like about the Triton is the handle as it makes it much easier to remove the cleaner from in and out of the pool and the caddy is nice as well. If it were me I would go with the Triton based on the additional options you referenced. Overall the Triton has been the best cleaner I have used on my pool by far and I have used several (Polaris 9300, Polaris 9400 & Hayward Navigator). The Triton does a great job with sand as this was important to me as I live in Florida with an unscreened pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Update:
    I ended up getting the Nautilus from Amazon at $550 shipped. The Triton was hundreds more and I just couldn't justify the expense. Using the Nautilus is easier than my old Polaris w/booster pump. Toss it in, plug it in...anytime regardless if the main filter is running or not. Running a 1HP main pump and a 3/4HP booster pump to me is just excessive to clean a pool. I'm more apt to toss the Nautilus in the pool more often (less energy use) so the upshot is I have a cleaner pool.

It does a great job of cleaning the pool, getting up an amazing amount of junk...and it's yet to leave a spot undone. No need for a remote as far as I can see. Rinsing off the easily removable filter assembly is quite easy with a garden hose, easier than fighting with the silly Polaris bag. I'm very happy with the purchase.
    19,200 Vinyl IG, Hayward 1HP Super Pump, Hayward DE-2400 Filter, Stenner 45MHP10 with 15 gallon tank, Dolphin Nautilus, Roof Mounted SunGrabber Solar Panels with separate 3/4HP pump and self-designed solar pump controller. Stand alone 4 person MasterSpa hot tub.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Jim I totally agree this is an awesome cleaner. The only complaint I have so far is that periodically when I hit the power button the cleaner does not turn on, I then simply unplug the power supply plug it back in and then press the power button and the cleaner starts right up. Have you encountered this with your cleaner?

Thank You
    Patrick
    www.inyopools.com

6. Back To Top    #6

I haven't notice that behavior with my Nautilus.

Last night I had my first "problem" after 10 minutes in the pool the cleaner was dead on the bottom. I pulled and replugged the power supply...pressed the button to no avail. My wife was in the pool, she swam down and brought the cleaner to me. I had left a pair of swim goggles in the deep end of the pool, they were clear so they were invisible. The Nautilus "ate" the goggles and de-railed one of it's tractor treads. I removed the goggles, placed the de-railed tread back in place and cycled the power...the Nautilus was back to cleaning the pool.