Trying to Balance

[email protected]

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 13, 2014
Newtown Square/PA
Trying to get chemical balance correct in my pool. I bought TF-100 kit last week and read your website to get a better handle on the situation and have been checking PoolMath and adding chemicals slowly and testing every day to try to get the correct balance. My pH was very low and all the kids' eyes were burning. Cl has also been very low for a long time. Water is clear and all looks good otherwise.

Here is my current situation:
From K-1000, Cl=3 and pH=7.5
From TF-100:
FC=3, CC=0
CH=500
TA=90
CYA=90

PoolMath's FC goal says 7-12, but in another spot on the website, target is showing as 3 (or 3-7). I have it set to use TFP goal levels. What should be my target? Should I continue to add bleach?
Should I try to further increase pH? (using washing soda)
What does the K-1000 Cl reading represent? Is it TC?
Should I try to reduce CH and CYA? I know I'd have to drain some pool water.

Your website has been fantastic in helping me understand what is going on so far. Thanks for any advice!
Sue

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Thanks for ordering a test kit and reading before posting :goodjob:

The required FC level is a function of your CYA level ... see the FC/CYA Chart.

Your pH is currently fine, but your FC is certainly too low since your CYA is so high. Ideally, I would replace half the water and get the CYA back in the recommended 30-50ppm range and then your required FC level would be lower.

The K-1000 OTO chlorine test reads FC and may drift to TC if CC are present.

If the FC has been too low for a long time, I might suggest raising the FC up to around 20ppm and Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to make sure there is nothing in the water.

It is still safe to swim all the way up to shock level FC in the above chart.

Jason,

Thanks very much for this info. I will raise the FC level (although not sure I have enough bleach on hand to get it to 20), and do the OCLT tonight.

What is the best way to drain the pool? I assume that I will need to turn off the pump and that it will take many days... Last summer, the pool store had me adding tons of chemicals and I never felt right about it. We have been relying on the tablet chlorine trying to get the level high enough, which is probably why the CYA level is so high. I hope to get the balance right soon and appreciate your help.

Sue

Your ground water level determines how much water you can drain at one time. If it is high, your pool could float out of the ground if you drain too much.

One option is to rent/buy a submersible pump to remove water and the refill it. If you can isolate suction from the floor drain, you may be able to use your pool pump to drain the water to waste (if you have a multi-port valve on the filter).

The other is to use a smaller submersible pump to drain from one end of the pool and be filling at the same time at the other end. If the water is calm, then you should be able to get a good portion of the CYA out, but this will take more water and time.

I did the OCLT last night. With the bleach on hand, I was only able to get my FC to 10. This morning it was 7. So, I assume that I have a problem and I need to slam it, correct? But to slam it, I need to get my FC to 35? I'm not sure Walmart has that much bleach:)

I will talk with my husband about a partial drain of the pool, but that might be out of my league and we might need to hire someone.

It looks like you need to dump about half the water to get down to a more reasonable CYA level before you start your SLAM. Stock up on bleach.
If you can shut off your skimmers you should be able to pull water in the the bottom drain and use the pools pump with the multiport valve on "waste" to lower the level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.