Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool user; don't have a clue what to do

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool user; don't have a clue what to do

Thinking about changing out pump to a better one than what came with pool. Any suggestions?
    Have only bought test strips so far and no luck getting levels right. What test would be best for my pool?
    I'm thinking of using the BBB since this seems to be simple from what I've read on here so far.
    Please help! Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated since I don't have a clue as to how to take care of a pool.
    Summer Escapes 16' x 48" AG Vinyl, 5K gal, 1000gph pump, "C" cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool user; don't have a clue what to do

Welcome to TFP!!!

These are the Recommended Test Kits, the TF-100 is the best value and ships out of NC

Why do you want a new pump? That will not likely improve your pool water. Usually problems are chemical and not the equipment.

Have you found Pool School? These will get you started learning about the chemistry:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please ask questions as they arise.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Kim! I am also Kim!

TFP is simple once you have a good test kit. It is also CHEAP! At least compared to the pool store! I spent less last YEAR using TFP than I did in one MONTH using the pool store!!!!!!!

Let us know how else we can help you. I LOVE to help and answer questions!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

My neighbor gave me the pool. She had only used it for one summer, however, the pump has to be reset each time you unplug it & sometimes it won't come on without bumping it. Also, I would like a pump with a timer on it since this one cannot be put on a timer with it having to be reset each time it's started. I was thinking of using an Intex 1500gph 1/3hp or 2500gph 1/2hp & just using the adapters to use the 1 1/4" hoses instead of the 1 1/2" hoses that come with it. What do you think or recommend?
    Summer Escapes 16' x 48" AG Vinyl, 5K gal, 1000gph pump, "C" cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

We hear a lot of good feedback for the 2500 / 2650 Intex pump and sand filter as being a good upgrade to the other tiny pumps and horrible cartridge filters.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!