Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what is the vaccuum line in the skimmer thats covered by a plate?

1. Back To Top    #1

what is the vaccuum line in the skimmer thats covered by a plate?

in my skimmer at the bottom there's line labelled vacuum and its covered with a plate that's screwed in whats this for?
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    Jacuzzi laser sand filter
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what is the vaccuum line in the skimmer thats covered by a plate?

Post a picture.
    How many holes are there? Could be a flap to force suction from the floor if you close it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Most likely it is just port that was closed off when the pool was built. Skimmers often come with two posts, and most builders simply block off the extra port that isn't being used. Occasionally they are plumbed to a main drain or an equalizer port, but that is fairly rare.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

If it looks like this, it's a diverter to regulate the water balance between the skimmer and the main drain.

I have no idea how to use it, not having handle one in the flesh. If you can post a picture (it looks better if you take it with the pump off) maybe we can figure it out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

heres a pic. how do i know if its plumbed to main drain. (i dont have a drain at the bottum of the pool)
    also what should i use to clean the inside of the skimmer thx

18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    Jacuzzi laser sand filter
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
    heres a pic. how do i know if its plumbed to main drain. (i dont have a drain at the bottum of the pool)
    also what should i use to clean the inside of the skimmer thx

Pure speculation here...

The open port goes to the pump. The port with the sliding door would go down to the main drain if you had one. You may discover that the pipe beneath that plate goes nowhere. It might never have been connected. It was most likely designed that way so if you use a vacuum plate to connect the vacuum hose, it would draw from the drain rather than the hose unless that door is slid closed.

Slide it open and stick a garden hose in there and see if it goes anywhere. You might have an open port below the skimmer that leads to.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!