Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From start to finish - a yard needing lots of Love

1. Back To Top    #1

From start to finish - a yard needing lots of Love

My wife and I are on the finishing end of installing a pool and re-landscaping the yard of our new to us home (I say that tongue and cheek as the yard really had no landscaping when we started).

A close friend is a landscape architect and was kind enough to draw us up a plan that the wife and i could execute in small portions. We've almost completed the hardscape work and then plan to take a break until the fall when we'll plant trees, shrubs, etc.

Few pics along the way...i also used the GoPro and took timelapse pics during certain work days for video documentation.

We did a majority of the work ourselves but did contract out the pool dig/install to Rising Sun Pools in Raleigh. We're fairly happy with their work..communication was a bit thin but overall acceptable.

Before work started...

Dig day...

Time lapse of the dig...

Day one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/683421...57643419360484

Day two: https://www.flickr.com/photos/683421...57643419360484
    11,500 gallon mountain pond shaped vinyl line / Hayward 2spd pump / Hayward S244T sand filter (filled with zeobrite) / Hayward PL-P4 Automation panel / Hayward SWG (T-3 Cell) / Polaris 280 with booster / Hayward AquaConnect / Hayward CrystalLogic color changing LEDS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: From start to finish - a yard needing lots of Love

The old/barely existing deck was way too small and kinda dangerous...a total redo was in order. I drew up the plans, pulled permits and started building. I'm very pleased how it came out...this was my first solo deck build.

Lots of wiring for indirect LED lighting...

Concrete work...

Time lapse video of the poor: https://www.flickr.com/photos/683421...57644272089940

Lots of stringers for the stairs but I didn't want any view obstructions...

11,500 gallon mountain pond shaped vinyl line / Hayward 2spd pump / Hayward S244T sand filter (filled with zeobrite) / Hayward PL-P4 Automation panel / Hayward SWG (T-3 Cell) / Polaris 280 with booster / Hayward AquaConnect / Hayward CrystalLogic color changing LEDS

3. Back To Top    #3

On to landscaping...mainly hardscapes up till this point.

Gravel path to pool equipment area...

Grading...machines make this seem so easy...

Sunken fire pit...larger bolders are N-S-E-W

6x6's for driveway...where future garage will be

Another view...

Mulch, topsoil and gravel...spreading by hand and wheel barrow is awesome exercise...also some raised beds for veggies...

Dog being obsessed with water and auto cleaner...

4. Back To Top    #4

love it! what an awesome job. love the hand railings on the deck. can't wait to see more pics...
    18x36 vinyl / sport pool 5.5' deep / 1.5hp Tri-Star 2spd / Hayward c3030 325 sqft cartridge / ~15k gal / TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

You have done a great job. The deck is really nice and the water in the pool looks very sparkly ! Fabulous

16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

WOW! That looks great. It absolutely transformed your yard.
    One thing I did not notice during the first time lapse video of the dig was concrete around the base of the metal pool walls?
    Did I miss that or is that not really required? Just asking out of curiosity as the pool looks spectacular.

7. Back To Top    #7

Looking great. I see you have the sink for the outdoor kitchen already waiting on the deck just itching to be installed : )
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

8. Back To Top    #8

double post, sorry
    18x36 vinyl / sport pool 5.5' deep / 1.5hp Tri-Star 2spd / Hayward c3030 325 sqft cartridge / ~15k gal / TF100

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by cudavic View Post
    WOW! That looks great. It absolutely transformed your yard.
    One thing I did not notice during the first time lapse video of the dig was concrete around the base of the metal pool walls?
    Did I miss that or is that not really required? Just asking out of curiosity as the pool looks spectacular.
    You have a keen eye! I stepped out during the afternoon of the first day and my camera died during the time they poured the footing...it's there for sure!

10. Back To Top    #10

Oooh oooh!! I keep seeing adorable little green houses made out of old window panels on Pinterest or Houzz. Did you by chance save those??
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Oooh oooh!! I keep seeing adorable little green houses made out of old window panels on Pinterest or Houzz. Did you by chance save those??
    We saved a couple and gave the others to friends for craft projects. We took one and painted the panels with chalkboard paint to write our weekly dinner menu!

12. Back To Top    #12

So you did the deck??? Awesome work! BTW, where is all the clay I usually see down south? Looks like you have some nice soil.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by suzook View Post
    So you did the deck??? Awesome work! BTW, where is all the clay I usually see down south? Looks like you have some nice soil.
    Yep, the entire thing from design to completion...if have an OCD personality when it comes to small details/building things.

There is some clay in our yard but not much in the hole they dug for the pool, so we lucked out. The dirt is still expansive though.

Thanks for the compliments!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Good deal, I am sure your project manager (cat) would have caught that if they tried to skip it. LOL

15. Back To Top    #15

I just finished installing new boards on my parents deck, they want to add a railing around the deck now. How did you secure the railing post to the deck?
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    I just finished installing new boards on my parents deck, they want to add a railing around the deck now. How did you secure the railing post to the deck?
    Hey Rocco - I notched the deck railing posts so they slid down next to the outer band boards and then they are attached to the band boards via 5 1/2" TimberLock bolts. I'll see if I can find a pic detailing this...easier shown versus explained.

17. Back To Top    #17

Can you tell me a little bit more about the zeobrite product.
    I have a Hayward sand filter and often times when I am done back washing and rinsing the filter and switch back to filter I get some residual sand come out into the pool or spill over spa.
    How does this compare to sand? I assume it is a better filter media, however to you get any residuals after back washing and rinsing? Thanks in advance, Vic

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by cudavic View Post
    Can you tell me a little bit more about the zeobrite product.
    I have a Hayward sand filter and often times when I am done back washing and rinsing the filter and switch back to filter I get some residual sand come out into the pool or spill over spa.
    How does this compare to sand? I assume it is a better filter media, however to you get any residuals after back washing and rinsing? Thanks in advance, Vic
    Hi Vic - I'm not sold on any type of sand alternative media just yet. If the zeobrite wasn't part of the PB's 'Deluxe' upgrade package (SWG, 2spd pump, automationc, etc.) then I would have just went with plain old sand media. I did get residual the first time I backwashed...mainly b/c I forgot to 'rinse' before switching back to 'filter' DOH!

After normal backwashing and rinsing i get no noticable residuals so you may have something else going on with your filter??

19. Back To Top    #19

Couple night shots...

20. Back To Top    #20

Any more pics of the concrete and pool coping?
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast