Change Method of chlorination

Kir

Apr 5, 2013
Long Island, NY
Hello! Quick question for the experts...in the past I have used bleach to slam and maintain the pool. I started off the season doing the same but find having to add bleach for such a large pool annoying (not to mention I have to change into "pool clothes" just in case the bleach splashes on what I'm wearing). So after the pool was slammed this season I changed to the chlorine pucks to use in the chlorinator. I have been running the filter 24/7 and now my CYA is up to about 50. My FC is 8.4 I dialed down the chlorinator to level 4 (out of a possible 7). With my CYA so high is there enough chlorine in the pool to disinfect properly just using the pucks? Although pucks are easier I am finding it difficult to regulate the chlorine levels because the amount entering the pool depends on what day it is after the new pucks have been added. I am OCD with the pool and check the FC and CC everyday with the kit you recommended. Should I only run the filter for say 11 hours to prevent more CYA from entering the pool? Is it ok to adjust chemical s weekly as opposed to daily?
Appreciate the help. Thanks, KB in NY

Should I only run the filter for say 11 hours to prevent more CYA from entering the pool?

On the contrary, you will probably find you need to run the pump more to keep enough chlorine in the pool to cope with your CYA. Which will add even more CYA, so you have to run the pump more, which adds more CYA........

For most people, at some point around the end of July the feeder can't keep up and the pool turns green and the process repeats the next season. SWCG or a liquid chlorine feeder will solve your problems.

Sounds like your CYA is already at the top of where it should be.

You need more FC daily or if you want to go easy on yourself (not the pool :grrrr:), weekly but each time you add a tablet to replenish the FC level you're adding CYA that doesn't diminish and you are at a limit of how much you should have and to drop CYA level you have to dump water. You can stick with the tablets and just plan on dumping 25% + of your water and refilling every time you hit around 50-60 if that is what you think is more convenient than using liquid bleach.

Salt Water Generator would be an option :neutral:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.