Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Change Method of chlorination

1. Back To Top    #1

Change Method of chlorination

Hello! Quick question for the experts...in the past I have used bleach to slam and maintain the pool. I started off the season doing the same but find having to add bleach for such a large pool annoying (not to mention I have to change into "pool clothes" just in case the bleach splashes on what I'm wearing). So after the pool was slammed this season I changed to the chlorine pucks to use in the chlorinator. I have been running the filter 24/7 and now my CYA is up to about 50. My FC is 8.4 I dialed down the chlorinator to level 4 (out of a possible 7). With my CYA so high is there enough chlorine in the pool to disinfect properly just using the pucks? Although pucks are easier I am finding it difficult to regulate the chlorine levels because the amount entering the pool depends on what day it is after the new pucks have been added. I am OCD with the pool and check the FC and CC everyday with the kit you recommended. Should I only run the filter for say 11 hours to prevent more CYA from entering the pool? Is it ok to adjust chemical s weekly as opposed to daily?
    Appreciate the help. Thanks, KB in NY
    40K, IG vinyl, Hayward Pro Series sand filter (S244T), Hayward chlorine feeder (CL-200), Aquabot Turbo T2 robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Change Method of chlorination

Should I only run the filter for say 11 hours to prevent more CYA from entering the pool?
    On the contrary, you will probably find you need to run the pump more to keep enough chlorine in the pool to cope with your CYA. Which will add even more CYA, so you have to run the pump more, which adds more CYA........

For most people, at some point around the end of July the feeder can't keep up and the pool turns green and the process repeats the next season. SWCG or a liquid chlorine feeder will solve your problems.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like your CYA is already at the top of where it should be. Time to switch back to bleach or invest in a SWG system.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Sounds like your CYA is already at the top of where it should be.
    You need more FC daily or if you want to go easy on yourself (not the pool ), weekly but each time you add a tablet to replenish the FC level you're adding CYA that doesn't diminish and you are at a limit of how much you should have and to drop CYA level you have to dump water. You can stick with the tablets and just plan on dumping 25% + of your water and refilling every time you hit around 50-60 if that is what you think is more convenient than using liquid bleach.

Salt Water Generator would be an option
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

A chlorine pump or SWG is your best option. Get away from the pucks.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

How do you measure FC 8.4? Mine is always #.0 or #.5
    TF100 kit, 26k Gallon 18x36 Vinyl inground by Blue Haven Pool, TurboCell T-15 SWG, SmartPure ozonator,
    Hayward SmartFilter cartridge with 1.5hp dual spd. Hayward SmartMax Star Pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeT View Post
    How do you measure FC 8.4? Mine is always #.0 or #.5
    If you use a 25ml sample vs. a 10ml sample, each drop indicates 0.2ppm FC.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

With the 25ml sample you'd use more drops but you'd be more accurate. Nice to know.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

No point to using 25ml, save the reagent.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!