Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2ppm drop overnight

1. Back To Top    #1

2ppm drop overnight

Hi there,

My water is still clear, but I noticed my FC dropped more than usual the other day, so after adding bleach and waiting an hour I tested last night at 10ppm, no free, PH of 7.8.

This morning I tested early to get an idea if an overnight loss and it came up at 8ppm. 2 overnight, but the water looks great!

Is this because my PH is high, reducing the chlorine effectiveness? Should I SLAM the pool? Or is there a different, less involved way to keep things in check when the water is clear?
    ~12,000 gallon IG pebble pool. Pentair CnC Plus 4-cartridge system, AO Smith 1.5hp single speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2ppm drop overnight

A 2 ppm loss overnight measured with a FAS-DPD chlorine test means that something that shouldn't be there is consuming chlorine. It wouldn't have anything to do with PH. None of the other chlorine tests have enough precision to do an overnight loss test.

Could you post a complete set of water test results?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I will collect a fresh test set tonight after sundown. I was using FAS-DPD last night and today for my chlorine check. It was daylight by the time I tested today but mo direct light on the pool yet (about 8am from 1230 the night before).
    ~12,000 gallon IG pebble pool. Pentair CnC Plus 4-cartridge system, AO Smith 1.5hp single speed

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay Jason (and everyone else), I ran a set of tests tonight, water sampled after the pump had been on 3 hours. Oh and FWIW the skimmer basket was jammed full of leaves - part of the problem?

FC 5.0 (EDIT2: was 8.0 this morning, 10ppm last night)
    CC 0
    pH 7.4 (I added muriatic acid at 8pm b/c I knew it was high from last night)
    TA 150
    CH 175
    CYA 100 (Edit: This can't be lowered, my wife refuses to let me "waste" water. She hates the pool and doesn't care what the cost of the chlorine and effort is on my part since she never uses it)

So 2ppm overnight, and another 1ppm in the day. I re-read the SLAM and since my OCLT is > 1.0, I figure I need to keep at it. My question for the forum is if I should go to 39ppm per the chart or if a "mini" slam is all that's needed when water is clear?
    Last edited by Gig103; 06-25-2014 at 01:22 AM. Reason: 1)CYA detail, 2) FC detail

5. Back To Top    #5

How confident are you that the CYA is only 100 and not higher?

You need too SLAM to the full shock level. Although very odd (impossible?) that you lost less during the day than overnight.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post

You need too SLAM to the full shock level. Although very odd (impossible?) that you lost less during the day than overnight.
    Thanks for confirming that the full level is required even when the water is clear.

Meanwhile I am confident in the 100. I used a half sample and it came up as 50. I haven't put anything but bleach in since Memorial Day when I started reading Pool School. I will make sure the chlorine is 39ppm tonight and check it in the morning. I know that isn't ideal monitoring frequency when starting a SLAM, but I will see what happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Jason I checked my notes and you are right. It was 10ppm last night, 8ppm this morning (when I posted the thread), and 5ppm tonight.

7. Back To Top    #7

So, a question about the Taylor test kit... Today around 60 drops the water went to a tan color. Did I do something wrong or is it just incapable of turning truly clear at such high concentrations of FC?

8. Back To Top    #8

Tan/brown means you didn't use enough of the R-0870 powder.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Hrm, It turned a nice vibrant color when I used my rounded scoop. I will be more generous tonight.

10. Back To Top    #10

Could you possibly water the yard, garden, flowerbeds, foundation, etc. with the pool water? Over time you'd get the CYA down to where you need it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

A more generous scoop of R0870 had a proper test result. Something is still chewing up chlorine and I'm not sure what. My wife commented how nice the pool looked today - could it be the cartridges in need of a rinse? If so, is it okay to stop the pump for 30 or so minutes to spray them off? Rules do say to run non-stop!

12. Back To Top    #12

You have to clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Gotcha... Ignoring the actual rule of thumb though (for my own information) can the debris in a cartridge be enough to eat algae? And if so, what if it's not "due" for a cleaning?

14. Back To Top    #14

Filters do not eat algae.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

I'll second the water the lawn etc. comment. Not wasting if you're watering!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

16. Back To Top    #16

Filters do not eat algae.
    Well shoot if I didn't ask that wrong... If there is algae or other debris in a cartridge could that explain the chlorine eating?

17. Back To Top    #17

It will consume some chlorine if there are organics trapped in the filter. As I said, you need to clean it when the pressure rises which indicates that stuff is trapped in it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

I like sharing happy ending... I had a successful SLAM as it passed an OCLT and the cartridges are cleaned.

19. Back To Top    #19

Jason, TFP Moderator