Converting? from Salt to Chlorine

br1ght

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jun 18, 2014
International Falls, MN
Hi, I've been lurking for 3 years here and need to ask a question so I signed up. I want to thank everyone for all the info I have gleaned from the forums, but my problem I have not seen posted yet.

I have a 8000 gal soft-side pool with sand filter, propane heater (sorry don't remember name or model#) and a 1st or second generation Intex saline converter. Two weeks ago the the transformer on the Intex unit puked out and of course you can't by a replacement transformer... Since that time I have been using bleach and dry chlorine pucks and my numbers are all spot on (I don't know my saline % as I don't test for it and have relied on the now dead Intex unit to tell me when to add). So my question is, am I going to kill my heater and other metal parts if I keep using chlorine and not dumpping the saline solution or do I to replace the saline converter in order to keep the salt in the pool? TYIA

Welcome to TFP!

To switch from a salt system to manual chlorine additions all you need to do is turn off the SWG and start adding chlorine manually. Everything else is either trivial or just fine.

Keep in mind that chlorine pucks constantly add CYA to the water. If you keep using them the CYA level will eventually get too high.

Thanks Guys, I started to panic after reading somewhere about corrosion due to the salt (on another thread here)... I am glad I don't need to replace the Intex unit as we are likely putting in a 23x41' AG in the spring and even the largest Intex saline converter wont keep up to to nearly 30,000 gals the new pool will have...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.