Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light has no power in the socket but at the light....

1. Back To Top    #1

Light has no power in the socket but at the light....

I pulled the light last week, and took it apart, the bulb was broken in half, and i had to remove the base with the old potato trick. Here is where it gets strange (no water in unit). There is power to the unit at the high temperature sensor (thing that looks like a cigarette butt on the left of the bulb socket thats covered in paper), but no power to the base of the bulb socket. Theres power at the light switch and the gfci, so i assume i just need to replace the whole thing???

Ideas? Suggestions?

40,000 gallon ig gunite, Pentair Challanger Century Centurion 2.2 HP Pump, FNS 60 DE filter, Polaris 280, Century Centurion 3/4 HP Booster Pump, Attached ig spa - 1HP Centurion pump - Dual non functioning blowers

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Light has no power in the socket but at the light....

Seems like it's time for a new light. I'd imagine the sensor has failed, and the light isn't repairable.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Light has no power in the socket but at the light....

It sounds like the thermal overload switch got stuck in the open position.

Assuming you did your testing correctly, the only real alternative is to replace the entire fixture.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School