Shocked when turning on pool pump (literally)

clg82

Jun 25, 2013
Good morning everyone, when swimming this past saturday I went to turn on the pool pump to get the water circulating and received quite a jolt from it. I've never had this before.....and I believe I may have touched one of the wires behind the timer itself...anyone else ever experience this and is there some kind of cover i can put over the wires to keep anyone else from doing the same thing when they turn it on while i'm not there.....thanks for any help....

I've never seen the covers for sale, but I'd get in touch with the company. Businesses will often give you safety devices to cover themselves.

I have a GE timer that brings the lever for the manual override outside the case which has some safety benefits. It might be a very simple swap. Got it from HD. If your interested, I can look up the part number.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They are available, I'd try some place like HomeDepot, Menards ..... Or cut one out of a plastic milk container. I warned someone about it and they did find a place recently to find one.

They have a black one and clear. This is just an example to "see" what you're looking for. Not sure if this is the exact part number for your clock as you didn't post a model number but I think they are pretty generic as the design hasn't changed much in decades.
http://www.epoolshop.com/intermatic_time_clock_parts.aspx

Number #4 in the image.

Attachments

• intermatic_timer_parts.jpg
    intermatic_timer_parts.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 73
Do you have a GFI in the system and is it 240 or 120 volt ??

If you don't have a GFI in the circuit I would really recommend it.

The GFCI would not be in the switch/timer. It would be in the breaker box ... or maybe that is what you meant by switch.

Given your responses, I am not sure how much electrical DIY you should be doing, it can be pretty dangerous.

If you can safely take a picture of the circuit breakers in your breaker box and identify which one is the one for the pool pump we should be able to figure what voltage and if it's a GFI.

It might be helpful if you added the pool info to : http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

Please put the following information in your signature.
The size of your pool in gallons
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Good point. A 230V GFCI checks for voltage differences between each leg, not between the hot and neutral.
So if you grabbed both LINE wires, you would get shock, but the GFCI may not trip. If you grabbed one LINE and the ground, then the GFCI should trip.

I highly doubt there is a GFCI breaker in this case.

In any case, it does not matter, this thread has taken a huge tangent, the OP has not said that the pump is not currently working, so there is no point in checking breakers etc, unless they want to upgrade to a GFCI breaker which might have prevented the jolt. They just need to add a cover to they can not touch anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.