Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocked when turning on pool pump (literally)

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocked when turning on pool pump (literally)

Good morning everyone, when swimming this past saturday I went to turn on the pool pump to get the water circulating and received quite a jolt from it. I've never had this before.....and I believe I may have touched one of the wires behind the timer itself...anyone else ever experience this and is there some kind of cover i can put over the wires to keep anyone else from doing the same thing when they turn it on while i'm not there.....thanks for any help....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shocked when turning on pool pump (literally)

What kind of timer do you have? Most of them come with a shield of some kind that protects you from the live wires.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    What kind of timer do you have? Most of them come with a shield of some kind that protects you from the live wires.
    haha well jason it looks just like this timer in a thread that you first responded too three years ago

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ed-Pumps/page2

4. Back To Top    #4

The common cover for those were a piece of thin cardboard. Thin plastics may have replaced that now. There is a mounting hole for the cover to be attached to, in the middle of t wire block itself.
    18x36 IGVL 36,000 gallons 10.5' on the dive, 1 hp Hayward self priming super pump, 300 lbs sand filter w/ Hayward Vari-Flo valve

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    haha well jason it looks just like this timer in a thread that you first responded too three years ago

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ed-Pumps/page2
    The timer in the picture is missing the safety shield that covers the terminals and wires. Here's what one looks like with the shield in place.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

any place to buy the cover to replace it for safety reasons or do i need to buy a whole new timer?

7. Back To Top    #7

I've never seen the covers for sale, but I'd get in touch with the company. Businesses will often give you safety devices to cover themselves.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    I've never seen the covers for sale, but I'd get in touch with the company. Businesses will often give you safety devices to cover themselves.
    i guess I could try and contact them....any other suggestions?

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a GE timer that brings the lever for the manual override outside the case which has some safety benefits. It might be a very simple swap. Got it from HD. If your interested, I can look up the part number.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

10. Back To Top    #10

It is a thin piece of plastic ... you could likely cut the side out of an orange juice container (or similar), poke a hole in it and put a screw through it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

They are available, I'd try some place like HomeDepot, Menards ..... Or cut one out of a plastic milk container. I warned someone about it and they did find a place recently to find one.

They have a black one and clear. This is just an example to "see" what you're looking for. Not sure if this is the exact part number for your clock as you didn't post a model number but I think they are pretty generic as the design hasn't changed much in decades.
    http://www.epoolshop.com/intermatic_...ock_parts.aspx

Number #4 in the image.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

thanks fellas for the suggestions....

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Do you have a GFI in the system and is it 240 or 120 volt ??

If you don't have a GFI in the circuit I would really recommend it.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

14. Back To Top    #14

I have no idea, but I can take a picture of the front panel on the switch if that would help you find out.....

15. Back To Top    #15

The GFCI would not be in the switch/timer. It would be in the breaker box ... or maybe that is what you meant by switch.

Given your responses, I am not sure how much electrical DIY you should be doing, it can be pretty dangerous.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

If you can safely take a picture of the circuit breakers in your breaker box and identify which one is the one for the pool pump we should be able to figure what voltage and if it's a GFI.

It might be helpful if you added the pool info to : http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started

Please put the following information in your signature.
    The size of your pool in gallons
    If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
    If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
    Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
    Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    This is not necessarily true. If you are shocked from power traveling from the hot to the neutral, the GFCI will not trip. It will only trip if the power is "lost" to ground.
    Since this appears to be a 220V only setup (look at the pictures in the original thread the OP referenced) it doesn't look like there is a neutral in the box.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

18. Back To Top    #18

Good point. A 230V GFCI checks for voltage differences between each leg, not between the hot and neutral.
    So if you grabbed both LINE wires, you would get shock, but the GFCI may not trip. If you grabbed one LINE and the ground, then the GFCI should trip.

I highly doubt there is a GFCI breaker in this case.

In any case, it does not matter, this thread has taken a huge tangent, the OP has not said that the pump is not currently working, so there is no point in checking breakers etc, unless they want to upgrade to a GFCI breaker which might have prevented the jolt. They just need to add a cover to they can not touch anything.
    Jason, TFP Moderator