Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor 1000 kit (personal) issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor 1000 kit (personal) issues

Am I the only one who hates the Taylor 1000 kit? The reason why I hate it, is because I have a real hard time matching the color after I put in the drops. I have tried numerous times and I still don't have a good feeling about my results.

For FC, I use the TF kit with the reagents, probably more expensive but I feel much more confident with the results. I use it twice a day.

But for pH, I am really struggling. Is there another way to test pH? Are those test strips accurate for pH?

I think I may be color blind after this.
    12' x 18' Oval Above Ground Pool (buried 2')
    Manufacturer states ~5,000 gallons
    Pentair CC75 Cartridge Filter System 1-HP Opti-Flo Pump
    Bleach Chlorination Method
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor 1000 kit (personal) issues

I find the comparator in the K-2006 kit really good for colour matching on pH. The comparator on all the other kits I have seen never seems to have colours which match the test solution.

Not sure if the 1000 kit uses the same comparator, guessing it does not.

Then again, I'm really bad with colour matching. I even have better luck with "varying amounts of purple" test strips for FC than I do with the OTO test when all I'm looking for is "no FC, some FC, lots of FC" indication. For everything else, the FAS/DPD test is so much easier...

... and it's still cheaper than the "computerized" kits
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

How about those electronic pH testers that you dip in the water? Anyone have any success with those?
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you ever used the acid demand with they pH test? It can really help you learn to recognize colors that match. Go to the pool store and get a bottle of R-0015 and add it one drop at a time to the pH test and observe the various colors.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the one that comes with the TF-100 not sure if it's the same but I was almost wondering if I was going crazy because mine was just always the same. I always guessed "between 7.5 and 7.8" because it was sort of a salmon pinkish orange color. Definitely orange but with a hint of pink.

I finally got to see a difference yesterday. I needed to bump my CYA up a little so I have had 2 tabs floating in the pool for almost a week and I guess they actually brought my pH down a little (just like Pool Math said!) because when I checked yesterday I had that perfect 7.2 orange color. It's literally the first time I've seen a different color since...ever!

In the end I figure as long as I'm not yellow or bright pink I'm probably safe. I could be wrong about that! I'm not aiming for anything specific for any other reasons so it seems like my logic is sound... lol

Someone feel free to tell me if it's not!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

Try adding an extra drop of reagent to the vial. It doesn't change the reading much, but makes the color more closely match the comparator.

Remember you are trying to match the yellow/orange/red/purple-ness of the sample and not the actual exact shade on the vial. You want it red, without any orange or purple tinge to it. Some people aren't as sensitive to colors as others, so it can be difficult.

Stick with it. After a few years, I can pretty well tell what my pH is when the first drop of reagent hits the sample. It gets easier with practice.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Have you ever used the acid demand with they pH test? It can really help you learn to recognize colors that match. Go to the pool store and get a bottle of R-0015 and add it one drop at a time to the pH test and observe the various colors.
    Hey Jason,
    I don't see R-0015 listed on TFTestkit?
    Thanks, john
    14,000 gallon IG DiamondBrite pool with 2 ea. waterfalls and slide, Hayward Tristar 2.0 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 3/4 HP waterfeature booster pump, Hayward 48sf DE filter, Hayward PS4 wireless controller, 1 skimmer and 4 returns, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner w/booster pump, 7 x 7 spa w/6 jets, TF-100 Test Kit w/speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Hey Jason,
    I don't see R-0015 listed on TFTestkit?
    Thanks, john
    Not surprised since the k1000 that comes with the TF-100 does not include it. And the K2006 uses a different reagent I think. {EDIT: The K-2006 uses R-0005 due to the larger water sample size}

Should only be a couple bucks locally.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Add the normal red 5 drops then add this?
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum

10. Back To Top    #10

Right, you add the normal 5 drops. Then you can add the acid demand one drop at a time and the color will change. I am suggesting it so that you can play with it and get a feel for the range of colors ... they really are quite different when you see them.

The acid demand test has a table (which you will not have just buying the reagent) and based on the number of drops you add to get to the desired pH, it would tell you how much acid to add, BUT, it makes assumptions of the TA level and PoolMath is generally more accurate.

EDIT: Leslies lists the R-0015 for $5.79 (more than I expected). I happened to find some in a VERY old Leslie's Complete test kit that I had in a closet ... still seems to work.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

There was also a question about electronic pH tester, the short answer is that they do work, sort of, the more expensive ones tend to work better than the cheap ones, but all require fairly frequent calibration using special calibration fluid, and care in handling. This makes them great for lab environments where pH tests need to be done many times per day, but less so for a home pool where they may be used only a few times per week.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

I also have a hard time reading the PH results. I have found them easier to read when I hold a piece of white paper (or paper towel) a couple inches behind the sample.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

13. Back To Top    #13

The blue sky makes a good background as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

I use AquaChek TruTest Digital Test Strip Reader for FC and pH readings. The reader reads test strip color and shows FC, pH and TA readings on a digital display. FC and pH are close to Taylor's. TA measures too high.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by gx22 View Post
    I use AquaChek TruTest Digital Test Strip Reader for FC and pH readings. The reader reads test strip color and shows FC, pH and TA readings on a digital display. FC and pH are close to Taylor's. TA measures too high.

We do not recommend test strips as being unreliable.
    We do not recommend digital testers as they too are unpredictable and require calibration.
    ... 2 strikes against that product
    Jason, TFP Moderator