Weird Readings

Jun 23, 2014
Kingsland Texas
Pool guy retired and I need help! First posting and I apologize for the length but I had to make sure there really was a problem with the equipment and not with me.

The cell quit generating plus it was 7 years old.
I replaced the cell, rebooted the control box and calibrated the cell and made sure it was working correctly.

6/21/14 Ran the pump for 5 hours (4a till 9a - our normal filtering/generating time for 7 years):
Reading 3400
Temperature 83 degrees
Cell voltage 25.2
Cell current 7.5
Desired output 65%
Instant salinity -3900
Product name AL-0
Software revision 1.40
Thought everything was well in hand!

6/22/14 End of the next 5 hour cycle (4a -9a):
Reading 1900
Temp 83 degrees
Cell voltage 32.8
Cell current 0
Desired output 65%
Instant salinity -0
Product name AL-0
Software revision 1.40

Turned the pump back on for additional time but the low reading would not allow generation.
Fiddled with the on/off/super chlorinate switch and the reading jumped to 2900 and
all the lights except the on and generating went off.
End of this 5 hour cycle (9a – 2p):
HTH Salt strip 3240
Reading 3300
Temp 84 degrees
Cell voltage 25.4
Cell current 7.5
Desired output 80%
Instant salinity -3700
Product name AL-0
Software revision 1.40

6/23/14 End of the next 5 hour cycle (4a -9a):
Reading 2100
Temp degrees 84
Cell voltage 32.5
Cell current 0
Desired output 79%
Instant salinity - 0
Product name AL-0
Software revision 1.40

Turned control box off then back on – still reading 2100.
Cycled thru the settings and back to primary reading – now 2900:
Reading 2900
Temp degrees 82
Cell voltage 25.3
Cell current 7.5
Desired output 82%
Instant salinity -3700
Product name AL-0
Software revision 1.40

Pool is fine, crystal clear and no apparent issues. What should I look at?
Ron

Welcome to TFP!

I don't see what the problem is. Everything seems to be working normally.

Remember that the volts/amps reading is only valid when the cell is on, and since the percentage isn't set to 100% the cell won't be on all of the time. Also, the instant salt reading is expected to vary a fair bit.

Apologize for not making myself clear. All the above readings is with everything on. Apparently I can make the cell/controls work but when I let them turn off and back on by there self, the cell does not generate. Being that I am now the "pool guy" I check the readings just before the pump turns off so as to get accustomed as to where the readings generally will be. That is when I discover that the cell is not generating. At this point I can turn off the system and restart and the cell will begin generating.

I suspect that you aren't understanding what I am saying. Everything you are describing is completely normal. Unless the percentage setting is at 100%, and your isn't, the cell will not stay on all of the time that the SWG is powered on. The SWG cell turns it's self on and off so that it is only on the percentage of the time that you have set it for. When the cell has turned it's self off, the voltage will be high, and the current zero, just as your describe. This happens even through the SWG is powered on and displaying things.

When you turn the SWG off and then back on again, it starts a new cycle. Cycles always start with the cell on and end with the cell off. So again, everything you have described is completely normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.