About 10 days in...questions...

Jul 17, 2013
Princeton, NJ
Hey guys/gals,

So I decided to go the TFP way.

I've been testing my water every day, usually twice.

Within the first 5 days I got my CYA up to ~35. I used the instant liquid stuff, which worked great...the dot test on my TF100 (or whatever the test kit they sell here at the store) took a little getting used to, but it's pretty consistently ~ 35.

Every morning I've increased my chlorine to ~4 and every morning it's back down to about 1.5, which (according to the calculator) means I need to dump in ~ 30oz of bleach.

pH has stayed consistent ~ 7.8 and TA is around 160.

Is it normal to have to use 30 oz of bleach EVERY DAY?

Also, this morning I noticed my water level was down a tad...not much, but a bit. I haven't added any water since completing the fill-up 10 days ago...is it normal to lose any water? Evaporation or what not...we haven't had much rain.

Thanks!

24' Above Ground Pool
13,500 Gallons
3/4 HP Hayward AC40 DE Filter

Last edited:
2.5 FC loss per day is well within normal, especially if the pool gets a lot of sun and/or swimmers. If it has been windy and the pool is uncovered, you can easily lose over an inch a week. When we get the hot, dry Santa Ana winds in SoCal, the water really evaporates fast. Where do you live? If you fill out your signature, it will really help us and eliminate a lot of wild speculation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.