Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New motot or whole new pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

New motot or whole new pump?

After a day or two of making high pitched squealing sounds, my Whisperflo Dual speed pump motor finally died. When I try to power it up it just hums. The model of the pump is WFDS-26. It's about 13 years old. I can buy a new motor, shaft seals and gaskets for about $400. I can buy the same exact pump for about $620. So here are my questions:

1. For a $200 difference do you think I should buy the whole new pump, it seems like a better deal to me.

2. Is there a better pump out there for my money?

3. The only water feature I have is a pool slide, and the current pump, 1.5/ 0.25 hp, had no problem sending enough water to it.

4. I'm not inclined to upgrade to intelliflo for a third more in price

I did call my pool guy when the pump first started acting up 2 days ago, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Tom
    In gound vinyl L, ~41,000 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filtter, Pentair 2 speed WhisperFlo pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New motot or whole new pump?

The bearings and seals on your motor are replaceable. No need to replace the motor at all.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks John. Is there a way for me to know if that's the issue? Can you provide a link for these parts? Thanks for the quick response.

Tom
    In gound vinyl L, ~41,000 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filtter, Pentair 2 speed WhisperFlo pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Usually easier to take the pump to a pool store or motor shop to be sure you are getting the right thing. Parts change over time.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

It could be the start capicitor, try turning the shaft, it should turn easily/smoothly.
    You can find a rebuilt 2 speed with warranty for a significant savings, here's a new one.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-HP-2-Speed...item2329ff6e85
    Local pool store will mount here for approx $20. Don't forget to get a new shaft seal also.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida