Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why am I supposed to wait 15 minutes after backwash to turn on solar heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Why am I supposed to wait 15 minutes after backwash to turn on solar heater?

I have a customer that just had solar panels installed for their pool. I was told, and there are warning labels on the system, that I must wait 15 minutes after backwashing to turn on the solar system again. Does anyone know why this is necessary, or what the reasoning is behind it?

Thanks
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why am I supposed to wait 15 minutes after backwash to turn on solar heater?

I would suspect that it is to ensure no leftover debris in the system has a chance to find it's way into the panels.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Why am I supposed to wait 15 minutes after backwash to turn on solar heater?

Some filters don't have a rinse function on the backwash valve and like Charlie R, I suspect it's to allow time for the filter media to be rinsed so as not to introduce debris into the solar panels that could cause a blockage or wear in the system.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with the others, and wanted to note that some styles of solar panels have smaller openings on the headers going into the panel tubes than others.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~